Thread: Freewheel with TiLite X... and quad hands

Freewheel with TiLite X... and quad hands

Greetings - I am interested in purchasing a FreeWheel 3rd wheel but have a few concerns due to the type and adjustment of my chair. I'm hoping someone with a similar setup has actually been using a Freewheel for years with zero issues ever.

Concerns:
    1. I have a folding chair... a TiLite X from 2003 to be more specific. I know there is a separate adapter that needs to be purchased for folding chairs but seem to remember hearing that even with this adapter, the freewheel fitting on a TiLite is not a sure thing.
    2. Assuming it has been determined that the FreeWheel will work with a typical TiLite armed with adaptor... my chair is adjusted to sit very low so that I can propel with my semi-working foot/leg. I feel like my footplates are VERY low to the ground. Does this create any potential for the Freewheel not being able to be added at all? or if it can be added, might there be any issues with the wheel not lifting the casters high enough off the ground for it to be useful?
    3. Assuming all is good with #1 and #2, I am a quad and therefore have the manual dexterity of a quad... actually one hand can hold objects and grasp with very limited strength and the other can hold objects but has next to no grasp at all. Will the taking off and putting on of the adapter be somewhat of a challenge with this limited manual dexterity?

If anyone out there has any answers/responses to the above they'd like to share or if anyone is in a boat similar to mine and has any opinions or advice based on their experiences as a Freewheel user/owner or someone who opted NOT to become a user/owner, I'd love to hear it all.

Thanks!!

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Sorry, I can't answer your questions. With having an older model chair, I think you should send them an e-mail to be sure either way (info@gofreewheel.com). Probably it would be good to send them a photo of your footplates also. Good luck to you. Post back with whatever you hear back from them.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Sorry, I can't answer your questions. With having an older model chair, I think you should send them an e-mail to be sure either way (info@gofreewheel.com). Probably it would be good to send them a photo of your footplates also. Good luck to you. Post back with whatever you hear back from them.
    I took your advice and got the following responses about an hour after sending the email... don't you just love prompt customer service that's actually helpful?

Concerns:
    1. I have a folding chair... a TiLite X from 2003 to be more specific. I know there is a separate adapter that needs to be purchased for folding chairs but seem to remember hearing that even with this adapter, the freewheel fitting on a TiLite is not a sure thing. Thank you for sending the pictures, they help a ton. If the side tubing height is 6" to 16" from the ground, you won't have any issue. From the pics, looks like you'll be okay. If it's a bit under 6", then we recommend flipping it so the knobs face down vs. up. Gives you another 1/2" or so.

1. Assuming it has been determined that the FreeWheel will work with a typical TiLite armed with adaptor... my chair is adjusted to sit very low so that I can propel with my semi-working foot/leg. I feel like my footplates are VERY low to the ground. Does this create any potential for the Freewheel not being able to be added at all? or if it can be added, might there be any issues with the wheel not lifting the casters high enough off the ground for it to be useful? The ADAPTOR can be moved forward or backwards on the horizontal tubing. The goal is to make sure your toes don't hit the tire, when it is rotated under the FreeWheel frame. If you have it set up properly, it WILL lift your casters. You can also review the online set-up instructions just to get an idea of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watchfeature...&v=sUV74Uvs3_o If that link doesn't work go to the website, click on Video & Photos, then the first drop down Videos & Photos, then videos. It's called "ADAPTOR Set-Up Guide."

1. Assuming all is good with #1 and #2, I am a quad and therefore have the manual dexterity of a quad... actually one hand can hold objects and grasp with very limited strength and the other can hold objects but has next to no grasp at all. Will the taking off and putting on of the adapter be somewhat of a challenge with this limited manual dexterity? I think the best response is, it's different, so it will take some practice. Depending on your mobility, maybe have the FreeWheel attached when you're not in the chair, keep it in the "tail dragger" position. Transfer, then roll the FreeWheel tire under the frame. Here is a video that shows it being put on and off. https://youtu.be/F6Cn9S7hyrI

If anyone out there has any answers/responses to the above they'd like to share or if anyone is in a boat similar to mine and has any opinions or advice based on their experiences as a Freewheel user/owner or someone who opted NOT to become a user/owner, I'd love to hear it all. If you use Facebook, that would be the best place to get some feedback from someone other than me. Though honestly, we get maybe 3 FreeWheels returned a year, maybe one ADAPTOR? It's so rare that we don't even have folks send them to our fulfillment center, but back to the house. There is a link to our FB page on our website.

The only follow-up question I had was regarding their return policy. As long as there are not any restocking fees and hopefully they pay for return shipping, I plan to order a FreeWheel and folding-frame-adaptor-bar ASAP. I'll post back on my experience.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Good to hear you had a fast response and it looks like it might be possible. I would be surprised if they would pay for return shipping, unless the information you received was not accurate.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).