Thread: Bedroom flooring -- carpet tiles?

Bedroom flooring -- carpet tiles?

We are looking for flooring for a bedroom. The rest of the place is laminate flooring that will be hard to match. We don't really have the money to re-do the whole place with quality laminate flooring, and we do not want hard tiles because of falls, vinyl because it usually does not look so nice or hardwood or bamboo floors because of cost and general wear-and-tear. The following is an overview of our requirements:

• Low rolling resistance. Need to propel an ultralight chair with small casters and narrow high pressure tires, using one arm and foot "toddling".
    • Can handle some moisture because of an attached roll-in shower.
    • Resilient with some padding to allow for minimum injury from falls from seizures.
    • Matte finish and slip-resistant and nothing with glare because of vision problems.
    • Noise resistant to not bother the downstairs neighbours.
    • Easy to install, easy to clean, low-maintenance and durable. Will be installed over a cement floor.
    • Possibility to replace worn out areas as needed.
    • Not too expensive, as it may eventually be replaced if we put in better floors throughout.

I am considering commercial grade carpet tiles, that are short pile, dense polyamide, with a thin built in rubber pad, that do not need to be glued directly to the floor, in different colours that can be replaced in heavy wheelchair use areas. So far, this seems to be a good brand Interface (Heuga). I think the home version in the US is called FLOR.

Does anyone have any experience with carpet tiles?
    Last edited by elarson; 08-03-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We stained and sealed the concrete floor in my son's house. He uses area rugs. Super low maintenance, visually it looks beautiful, and very inexpensive to do. The cracks and dings in the old concrete just add to the "edgy-ness" of the overall look.

Hi elarson!
    No experience with carpet tiles, but will add our experience with carpet. After replacing home carpet twice in 20 years due to wear/stain from two wheelchair family, we went with ceramic tile, except for a second bedroom, on a concrete slab, which got Berber carpet, and our bedroom which got wood laminate. Kitchen, linoleum.

The Berber carpet was installed without padding underneath and we have no problem rolling on it, but that's with two arms pushing our chairs. That type of carpet is attractive, very low pile. (Probably not as low as carpet tile). We would have had difficulty if the padding was underneath.
    I use this room every day on my computer, sewing room, clarinet practice - that is, I'm moving around; however it is a small room. This carpet has been in place for about 20 years and shows almost no wear; once when water leak at floor from a torrential rain, carpet showed stain but was able to be cleaned.
    If you are interested, perhaps a carpet store would be able to lay a big piece on the floor to check "roll-ability" for your husband.

Many medical facilities, doctor's offices, and hospitals in my area have gone to carpet tiles. My physician moved into a new office about 2 years ago. The carpet tiles in that office are 2 (feet) x 2. The seams are barely noticeable because of color striation and muted patterns. The tiles show little wear or have been replaced if they have worn or been stained beyond cleaning. The pile is very low and hard. I think one of the keys to a good installation is a good subfloor that is smooth and level because ripples, voids and high and low spots would probably translate through the tiles and give an uneven appearance.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-04-2016 at 01:19 PM.

I think we are going to go with one of the commercial grade carpet tiles. I have a total phobia for tile and hard floors now, and really want something that is not too hard -- here is a blog post if interested . We've got some time so I am scanning for overstock from commercial projects. If we can't find anything by the time we need it, I found a place that puts together an assortment based on colours. Neither of us are big on decorating, so it will be kind of fun to see what we get. I can always put the bad ones under the bed or replace a few of them later on. http://carpettilesoutlet.com/webshop.../color_id:1724
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Hi Miss E,

I installed floor to floor FLOR brand tiles in my daughter's bedroom over hardwood floors. There is no rubber backing and they are easy to install and super easy to replace. Check out how they are installed at their website. I bought a few extras for replacement tiles. Many of the tiles that needed cleaning I could pull up clean in the sink and re-install. For the tougher stains, I popped them out and put in the new tile. We've had this flooring in over six years.

I am currently out of tiles and we are deciding what kind to replace future tiles with. (We look for low pile and high traffic because she uses her powerchair so much.) We will leave the border and slowly replace with the new ones as needed. We've found it practical and versatile.

If you would like some pics I can send them over.

Good to hear from someone who has used them. FLOR is the residential version of the brand I am going to get The commercial version in the US is called Interface http://www.interface.com/US/en-US/homepage. They are a Dutch company around a long time and used to be called Heuga. They were mentioned on a Dutch website for wheelchair users, but nobody really reviewed them. I want the type with rubber on the back that are rated for "intensive use" like with wheelchairs. Also the fibers are stronger nylon and it has a stronger system than FLOR for attaching them.

Don't feel you need to send any pics, because I've seen many online. But of course, it is always nice to see how people do things .

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    I installed floor to floor FLOR brand tiles in my daughter's bedroom over hardwood floors...

That's very interesting. I had not heard of carpet tiles before. I used wall-to-wall carpeting in my bedroom, but it is a hassle and expensive to clean, and the wheelchair kind of tears it up and makes it look not great fairly soon anyway. I had your same concerns about hardwood floors - they make transfers too scary for me. And indeed, moisture from the shower has already messed up my existing carpet.