Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope for chronics

Hope for chronics

http://lollymack.com/news/my-visit-t...in-california/

And all the doctors need is quarter of a million to go to clinical trial. Wish it was available now for the partially paralyzed who can use walker briefly!

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    http://lollymack.com/news/my-visit-t...in-california/

And all the doctors need is quarter of a million to go to clinical trial. Wish it was available now for the partially paralyzed who can use walker briefly!
    Does anyone have the time and the means to start and manage a gofundme page for this ...the amount needed isn't relatively too large of an amount
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Wouldn't the Reeve Foundation fund something at the Reeve Centre?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I can understand it from a newbie but Christ you more experienced CareCurers are not really getting any better at this are you? Do you think $250k will get a gene therapy like PTEN to clinical trial? Have a little word with yourselves!

There might actually be a sensible reason the NIH is not funding this line of science and are choosing to fund the likes of Murray Blackmore at Marquette who is busily screening other cancer genes (not PTEN) and their impact on CST axon regeneration. Sometimes you just need to ask yourself twice why the lab is asking the Community for money!

More like $8-10 million and four years for a clinical trial ��

Dammit !
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Perhaps just to clarify in case there are misunderstandings...

Last years publication concerning PTEN deletion is only in the mouse model discovery stage. (Mice are primarily used in gene altering experiments). LINK

Funding support listed on the publication besides private donors is an NINDS Division NIH grant number [R01 NS047718]

According to the NIH RePorter:
    That R01 project grant awards are (2015) $337,969. - (2014) $334,449. - (2013) $324,997. - (2012) $335,690. - (2011) $ 334,688.

The 2015 funding will end in March of 2017.

DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project is dedicated to discovering ways to induce regeneration of the corticospinal tract (CST) and recovery of motor function after spinal cord injury (SCI). The CST is the pathway that is responsible for the ability to move voluntarily. Damage to the CST as a result of a spinal cord injury is the reason people are paralyzed. The present project is based on recent extraordinary discoveries that the CST can be induced to regenerate following spinal cord injury by targeting molecular pathways that control cell growth in development, specifically phosphatase and tensin inhibitor (PTEN). PTEN is responsible for shutting down the type of protein synthesis that is critical for cell growth during development. PTEN acts by blocking the mammalian target of rapamycin, (mTOR), so deletion of PTEN releases inhibition on mTOR, which in turn allows the cell to synthesize proteins that are critical for cell growth. Importantly, the same molecular pathways are also the key to allowing neurons to regenerate their axons following injury. Based on this, recent studies have shown that genetic deletion of PTEN in mice allows neurons to mount a robust regenerative response. Most critically, our studies demonstrate that when PTEN is deleted in neurons in the cerebral cortex, the neurons that give rise to the CST are able to robustly regenerate their axons after SCI. The fact that regeneration of the CST can be successfully induced provides us with an unprecedented opportunity to address a question that is central to regeneration research-whether it is possible to induce regeneration in a therapeutically-relevant time frame and whether inducing CST regeneration is enough to restore circuits of sufficient specificity to allow some degree of restoration of motor function. The project uses anatomical and physiological methods to assess the degree to which regenerated axons grow along normal tracts, to normal targets, form functional synapses, and contribute to motor function. Pre-clinical experiments will also assess whether it is possible to down-regulate PTEN in a therapeutically-relevant time frame and using non-genetic interventions.

This project builds upon the novel discovery that axon regeneration can be induced following spinal cord injury by targeting molecular pathways that control cell growth during development. The project will assess whether it is possible to target these molecular pathways in a therapeutically relevant time frame and whether the regeneration is sufficient to restore motor function.

=FellowHawkeye;1807126
    And all the doctors need is quarter of a million to go to clinical trial.
    I would be quite surprised to learn that they've met with the FDA for an IND and only have one small experiment remaining before launching a human trial.

OK,my preference has always been questionable...but...who's the blond..!? My God, look at her hair! she's absolutely gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    OK,my preference has always been questionable...but...who's the blond..!? My God, look at her hair! she's absolutely gorgeous!
    First thing I noticed haha.