Thread: High level quad? Using computer in bed.

High level quad? Using computer in bed.

I'm a C3, and use NaturallySpeaking 11.5 with Windows 7 on my desktop, which is in my office. I can do pretty much everything I wish to. Looking for suggestions on the easiest way to use a computer from bed, I'm figuring I'd have to purchase a laptop. I would have to use NaturallySpeaking, as I have no physical movement below shoulder. Additionally anyone use their television as a monitor?

Thanks

I'm a c3c4. I have been using SmartNav for about 10 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhiDMJyO8rU http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/ Right now I have it hooked up to my laptop. When I'm in bed I put a pillow on my lap then the laptop. I have used it before on my tv. I used a tripod at the end of the bed. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.ergomart.com/HD_LCD_monit...-arm-SAA66.php

Long Reach Health Care Monitor Arm SXA66 | ERGOMART

Instantly float LCD from position to position with ease

Cables cleanly and safely managed throughout the arm

LCD monitor arm extends up to 71" and folds into 15.7"

Instantly reposition monitors from 4 to 18 pounds

Rotate the monitor over 350? and tilt more than 120?

Durable and designed for use with touch screens

Comes standard with 75mm & 100mm VESA interfaces

I put my laptop on my overbed table and simply place it over my bed. I use the smartnav with a toggle switch for clicking. I also have a homemade sip-and-puff switch for when my arm is tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I put my laptop on my overbed table and simply place it over my bed. I use the smartnav with a toggle switch for clicking. I also have a homemade sip-and-puff switch for when my arm is tired.
    Smartnav is the best! I use dwell clicker and on screen keyboard. Just hover over what you want to click on. Don't have to use my arms at all.

My right hand is the standard quadriplegic fist and my left and is open with no finger function or grip.

While laying on my back with the monitor is in front of my face and put my trackball next to my left hip placing my left hand on top of it. When I twist my arm to the right it clicks the right button or when I twist it to the left, clicks the left trackball button.

When I'm lying on my side I move the monitor so it faces the side of the bed and I'm looking straight at it and "cup" the trackball between both hands. My left hand resting on top of left trackball button and rotate the ball with my right wrist or the bottom of my palm.

Glassouse.com
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

How close are your office and bedroom (assuming the TV is in the bedroom)?

When I want to use my TV as a screen (admittedly from my laptop, which has a HDMI port - you'd have to see if your desktop has one as well, *or* see what your TV has and if your desktop is compatible), I just take an HDMI cord and plug it from my laptop into my TV. Then, I can position myself where I want in the living room (as long as my keyboard / mouse are in range since that's what I use) -- and work from there.

Length on HDMI cords is pretty cost-reasonable. When I purchased my HDMI cord, I got a 12ft cord, figuring I would not regret the extra length (I don't).

I can point computer settings to 'duplicate' my laptop screen, 'extend' my laptop screen and give me more screen real estate (one thing on the TV, one thing on my laptop screen) - or 'project' my laptop screen (turn my laptop screen off and go exclusively to TV).

If you have a wireless setup for microphone and such to run DNS, maybe this would be a cheaper option for you? Laptops are cheap nowadays (if you want an HDMI port or other ports, ensure it has them before purchase - laptops are slimming down now and dropping ports) -- but I think I paid about $20 for my HDMI cord and things like multiple monitors, another laptop, etc. were more like $200, so it was a significant savings for me that still allowed me to get work done. (Pesky "student" budget, and now pesky "unemployed" budget... )

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    If the TV is full HD (1920x1080, 1366x768, 1280x720) and had digital input DVI-D or HDMI it will work as a computer monitor. You generally need at least 768 lines now so 1920x1080 will do.

Hey,

our solution (sesame-enable.com) is a head controlled APP for Android devices. So no special cameras, or reflective stickers. And placing a tablet in bed is so much nicer than a clunky laptop.

The app is here, hope it helps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e_nougat&hl=en

Let me know if you have any questions!