Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former US Olympian Home, Walking ... Less Than 3 Months After ...

Former US Olympian Home, Walking ... Less Than 3 Months After ...

Would be far more interesting if we knew his injury level and severity.

But only 2 1/2 months after the injury, Nieto's manager, Paul Doyle, says his client has miraculously recovered ... so much that he's been sent home from the hospital ... and is WALKING with a walker.

How'd he bounce back? Intense rehab, Doyle says. "He's been treating recovery like a true Olympian."
    Nothing miraculous about it, many completely recover from SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Would be far more interesting if we knew his injury level and severity.
    All I know is that when he was admitted to the hospital and then a a week or sometimes later he said it on a video that doctors told him he was incomplete and should expect full recovery. I don't know if he had a surgery as the information is not available.

So it was mainly paralysis from spinal shock it would appear.

Some call this a spinal cord "concussion" similar to a brain concussion. It is amazing how many people end up being AIS E (complete recovery of motor and sensory deficits; perhaps some remaining abnormal DTRs), but they get their return almost immediately after injury (within 24-48 hours usually significantly improved).

I just hate it when the press, etc. make out that this type of return is due to anything other than great good luck. It had nothing to do with how hard he worked, being an Olympian, faith in God, being more determined, etc. etc. That is such an insult to those who do not get return or recovery. He was lucky. That's it.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Some call this a spinal cord "concussion" similar to a brain concussion. It is amazing how many people end up being AIS E (complete recovery of motor and sensory deficits; perhaps some remaining abnormal DTRs), but they get their return almost immediately after injury (within 24-48 hours usually significantly improved).

I just hate it when the press, etc. make out that this type of return is due to anything other than great good luck. It had nothing to do with how hard he worked, being an Olympian, faith in God, being more determined, etc. etc. That is such an insult to those who do not get return or recovery. He was lucky. That's it.

(KLD)
    True, but let's not minimize the role of hard work. Some return IS based on hard work and determination. Didn't Wise's recent publication cite something like 6 hours a day of walking/gait training, for 6 months, in order to achieve its results?!? That is hard work and requires a great deal of determination. Lazy people can be lucky and get return, due to the nature of their injury, true enough, but for the rest of us it won't happen by itself, or just with a doctor's treatment, as Wise is demonstrating.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    I AGREE 100 percent.....He was Lucky is all.....seen it happen around here once 40 years ago. All the work in the world won't bring something back if its not meant to be......Lucky
    Art

Hard work can certainly maximize the functionality of any return achieved, but it is not going to cause return to occur with an injury like this.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I wonder how many people didn't even try because they believed the narrative that recovery is all about the luck of the injury; that they can't do anything to help themselves? I was like that for the 14 months, or so, until I met a therapist that advocated gait training. After 6 months of trying that I could stand for a minute on my left leg. Then I got both sides hip flexors back. Would that have happened without trying?! Who knows, but the first 14 months I got nothing. I think it is more important to focus on trying than dismissing it as "luck".
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus