Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-5 quadriplegic concerned about insurance cost for a modified vehicle.

C-5 quadriplegic concerned about insurance cost for a modified vehicle.

Hello everyone I am a C-5 quadriplegic who recently got his license a few months ago and I am in the process of getting government funding for a vehicle to be modified with the Scott driving system which in total will cost about $108,000 that's without the cost of the vehicle so in total I will be getting a vehicle that cost $140,000. Has any other quadriplegics got in a vehicle modified and has purchased insurance for the vehicle? I have contacted insurance companies and they don't seem to know what they're doing so I'm reaching out to find out what other people's experience have been. I'm really worried that I'm going to end up with a $200 car payment and an $800 a month insurance payment. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Check with AAA insurance. They covered the adaptations to my mother's van.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    My sons van insurance is on a stand alone policy from Erie Insurance for $5,850/year. It's a NorCal Max with electronic controls. His van all in was $118,000 if that matters.

My van is insured with Allied Insurance, the broker represented arm of Nationwide Insurance. They required that the cost of the van and the cost of the conversion/customization be stated separately to avoid experiencing the typical depreciation on the conversion/customization that you experience on a vehicle.

Here are some older threads on the subject:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=insuring+van

All the best,
    GJ

So I contacted a local State Farm agent to get a quote on insurance and I gave the agent an explanation of my situation. Gave him estimated cost of the modifications and the price of the vehicle and the agent quoted me $1080 per month for insurance which was ridiculously high.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    My sons van insurance is on a stand alone policy from Erie Insurance for $5,850/year. It's a NorCal Max with electronic controls. His van all in was $118,000 if that matters.
    Do you know if that coverage includes the modifications and the vehicle cost?

we have a full size van with 23k mods so basically 75k van, wifes car and scooter with same outfit[amfam] that covers our house. its $168 mth for auto with mods fully covered.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have the stupidest question but I have t ask how the heck does a van cost 118,000 granted I am c6c7

i am not putting down just curious

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I have the stupidest question but I have t ask how the heck does a van cost 118,000 granted I am c6c7

i am not putting down just curious
    I have to ask the same thing. My van with modifications cost about $51,000, but that was nearly 8 yrs. ago. Mine is also set-up for me to drive it.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    I have to ask the same thing. My van with modifications cost about $51,000, but that was nearly 8 yrs. ago. Mine is also set-up for me to drive it.
    As a C-5 quadriplegic I'm driving with really high tech equipment so basically my modifications were approved recently and the total was $120,000 and modifications (ridiculous) that's why some auto insurance companies are quoting me $900 to $1100 per month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XclgwuRyffw
    your modifications are basically dropped floor and a push pull and control or a six way seat?