Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise of Schwable downtown wheelchair tyre

Advise of Schwable downtown wheelchair tyre

Hi, my 24" spinergy LX wheel can fit this http://www.spokz.co.uk/Wheelchair-Ty...lchair-Tyre/57

As want to try. Appreciate if anyone can help.

thanks

They should fit. I've only installed Schwalbe Marathons on Spinergy wheels and what I learned is to have an extra tube on hand in case of errors. Use the slippery stuff to install and check to see that the tube did not get caught under the bead of the tire before inflating.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    . . . what I learned is to have an extra tube on hand in case of errors. . .
    yep! me, too
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    They should fit. I've only installed Schwalbe Marathons on Spinergy wheels and what I learned is to have an extra tube on hand in case of errors. Use the slippery stuff to install and check to see that the tube did not get caught under the bead of the tire before inflating.
    Thanks a lot. My current tyre is schwable marathon plus but I have just bought it sometime early May and now the tyre is going bold which not why now the quality of marthon is different from last time.

I use these and they last a good 12 months. One thing to look at when you fit the tyre is one side is completely smooth (outside) and the other side has the tyre info (inside) like size and pressure. This means if your thumb touches the side wall of the tyre at speed you wont get friction burns from the details of the tyre.

All in all good tyre and a good price

Chris

Definitely have an extra tube or two. Schwable beads are very tight , in my opinion they are the best brand of tires on the market. Most people definitely pinch the tube, i myself been para post 20 years lot of experience changed tubes. Schwables have very tight bead last time I pinched two tubes. Great tires though, marathon plus evolution there's no comparable w/chair tire on the market. I have been in chair 25 years, been selling w/chair parts tires and tubes for 20. Just my opinion , to each their own.

I ran my Marathon plus tires till there was a quarter inch of the blue puncture guard showing all the way around the middle of the tires. But I am really cheap that was 2763 miles on them I use an attachment and cycle daily so those are on the pavement miles mostly. Right now I am running Older Schwable Marathons with green puncture guard and have 2100 miles on them and the green is just starting to show through on the right hand tire. I will not be surprised if I get 3500 out of my current ones. I know some people are not comfortable pushing it that far but if you are you can get a lot more ware out of them. I have no experience with the ones you are getting ready to use.

Quote Originally Posted by jashoot View Post
    Thanks a lot. My current tyre is schwable marathon plus but I have just bought it sometime early May and now the tyre is going bold which not why now the quality of marthon is different from last time.
    Two months is extremely low for wear on a Marathon. You may have a bit of toe in-out causing the tire wear. Depending on the chair, it's a fairly easy adjustment that makes a big difference in performance and tire wear.

I wheel with my palms on top of the tire and fingers around the handrim so the Marathons ate my hands up pretty good. I have them on my handcycle and after three years they still have lots of tread,

They are a bugger to mount on the rim. It is more than a good idea to get extra tubes. If you don't, you'll puncture one for sure. Wetting the tire and rim helps a lot. I just grab the windex and use it.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-26-2016 at 02:57 AM.

There are reports of a complete change of Marathon tires resulting in non-Marathon levels of durability.

I recommend trying a pair of these for hand issues (and you don't have to touch a tire, yuck):
    https://www.safariland.com/products/...ves-17626.html
    Excellent grip on the handrim, hands don't get chewed up, and there is an insulated version for winter. Under $20 delivered on ebay. Make great work gloves also

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    There are reports of a complete change of Marathon tires resulting in non-Marathon levels of durability.

I recommend trying a pair of these for hand issues (and you don't have to touch a tire, yuck):
    https://www.safariland.com/products/...ves-17626.html
    Excellent grip on the handrim, hands don't get chewed up, and there is an insulated version for winter. Under $20 delivered on ebay. Make great work gloves also

This is true. I Guess they weren't wearing out fast enough to sell enough replacements. I'm still rolling a pair installed in 2008. They look bad, sidewalks cracked to hell, but still have tread.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments