Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was I discriminated on?

Andy - the van is a standard, basic, ordinary, run of the mill, bolt-in hand control. Nothing fancy at all.

If they offer the service to the general public they need to accommodate people with disabilities. I would file a complaint with the Department of Justice and give you 95% chance of a win.

I worked as a valet for over 10 years and for several different companies including the Cleveland Clinic main hospital. We parked cars with hand controls all the time. It was a no-brainer and didn't require any special training. Hell, we would even assist the patient getting the wheelchair out and set up and would wheel them to the front desk to check in and then come back to take the vehicle to the garage. My company name was Standard Parking...not sure if policies changed.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    I had the same problem here at the local hospital when I went to their lab. Their parking situation is horrible so they have valets park cars in the lot across the street. They said they are not allowed to operate vehicles with hand controls after one of their employees drove a car into a brick wall. Like TomRL said; I talked to the guy in charge and he let me park my van up close, out of the way. No problem for me, it all worked out.
    Why contract with a hospital if you can't park the patients car which is no different from driving a regular car?

That's one thing I like about the newer Sure Grip Hand controls is that they have a safety pin that you can click in when the car is being driven by A/B people. Possibly though if they have some kind of policy even that might be a moot point though. It seems to me lately we are slowly loosing a lot of the gains we made after the implementation of ADA back in the early 1990's from every I've been seeing the past few years.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Sometimes we are the educators of the world. Which really wont help on your party but call the valet company and educate them ADA requires them to provide services and hand controls dont interfere with valet needs.

We had that happen to us last Christmas at the mall.

The valet service apologized and sent us a $200 mall gift car.

I would also talk to the restaurant general manager as they want to partner with good vendors.

Dont forget if no resolution take it to social media on both company's to warn others!

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Sometimes we are the educators of the world. Which really wont help on your party but call the valet company and educate them ADA requires them to provide services and hand controls dont interfere with valet needs.

We had that happen to us last Christmas at the mall.

The valet service apologized and sent us a $200 mall gift car.

I would also talk to the restaurant general manager as they want to partner with good vendors.

Dont forget if no resolution take it to social media on both company's to warn others!

Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

Another thing about "discrimination" and making complaints, getting it fixed and all the trouble you have to go through to get it done, it is our responsibility to be proactive and help resolve them.

Someone will have to fight the fight, someday it will need to be done, so the sooner it gets enforced the better for you, and the rest of the population.

If we just complain about barriers and take no individual action to make sure compliance is enforced then not only are we passing the buck on to the next person, were not taking responsibility for ourselves, our lives and the rest of the population with mobility issues.

The more aggressively and frequently we fight for compliance, the easier it will be for us to be heard, and the more political bout we will accumulate as a percentage of the population.

if it's valet park of america it's their policy. as it is illegal for a person who doesn't need them to use the hand controls.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

The Department of Justice

Ouch!

That is one issue that never came across the Lorain Advocacy Board for Persons with Disabilities which I served 15 years on. Many complaints about the gas pump law though.

Check you state's law on valet parking with vehicles with hand controls or call you state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles. If they say the valet cannot refuse you put a complaint in to The Department of Justice. This form is simple and easy AND you will get a reply back.

I use valet parking at the Cleveland Clinic and I've never hand any problems what so ever. If anything they are extremely helpful.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Does this make any sense to anyone? If you don't at least make a respectful complaint, how can the offense be corrected? How would anyone know that some sort of offense has been made, if they have not been informed? I acknowledge I have a short fuse sometimes, and can be forceful with my language. But if the offender has no idea of what they did or didn't do, how can they really be held to account?

Now assuming you did register an offense, have you ever returned to this Restaurant, to see if you were serviced/treated just as anyone else? I do not believe the first time was inconvenient and you should complain about it, but a second serving of the same offensive treatment after you registered a complaint would be an offense of the ADA law and then a legal complaint to someone like the DOJ would certainly be in order. Though I think a complaint to the Health Dept would get quicker results. Health Department's directly regulate restaurants. Just my opinion.