Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47 Years ago today...

^^(A)^^

Thanks for the reminder. NL and I had just been married and had moved from Phoenix to Los Angeles. I remember well, staying up all night, and watching really sketchy images on our 12 inch black and white Sony television. I still have the reel-to-real tape recording we made of the audio, the attempt we made at taking a photograph of the television screen at the moment of the first footfall on the moon, and buying the Life magazine special edition of the moon landing.

All the best,
    GJ

That was truly an awesome day.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

My father worked in the aerospace industry, and his company made some of the parts for the LEM, so it was especially exciting for us. We were up in the middle of the night to watch, and had a new Australian foreign exchange student living with us, so she joined in. It was like a party! The next day we left for 3 weeks in Mexico, and everywhere we went people there wanted to talk to us about it. We felt like real celebrities.

(KLD)

We were camping at the ocean, but got a room for the night so that we would not miss the excitement on the moon.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Check out this 3D model of the command module just released by the Smithsonian museum. Clicki the right arrow in the upper left corner for a tour.

http://3d.si.edu/apollo11cm/boxes/pl...-interior.html
    ^^(A)^^

My dad worked on the command module guidance system and he told me every time you enter the module you had to write down everything that was in your pocket i.e. screwdriver, alligator clip, etc.

Then when you left you had to make sure you have those exact same things with you. However, he said astronauts later recalled all sorts of weird things floating around once in outerspace.

Even had a piece of the protective foil for reentry and someone stole it at show and tell.

I watched the landing on TV. Amazing.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

That "earthrise" was plain awesome! I was in the mountains with the family...we were listening on the car radio as it happened.

Earthrise

Earthrise is a photograph of the Earth and parts of the Moon's surface taken by astronaut William Anders in 1968, during the Apollo 8 mission. Nature photographer Galen Rowell declared it "the most influential environmental photograph ever taken."[1] This had been preceded by the crude 1966 black-and-white raster earthrise image taken by the Lunar Orbiter 1 robotic probe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ^^(A)^^