Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeated muscle stimulation can restore movement post paralysis

Repeated muscle stimulation can restore movement post paralysis

This seems new, anyone know any more detailed info:

Repeated muscle stimulation can restore movement post paralysis

Posted 2 days ago | ANI

Washington D.C, Jul 16 : A new patient study has paved the way for a new opportunity to rehabilitate patients with spinal cord damage.

Dr Anastasia Shulga led the Helsinki University Hospital study in which two patients with spinal cord injuries received a form of treatment that combined transcranial magnetic stimulation with simultaneous peripheral nerve stimulation given repeatedly for nearly six months.

This was the first time that attempts were made to rehabilitate patients paralysed as a result of a spinal cord injury through long-term stimulation treatment of this type.

Both patients who participated in the study had spinal cord injuries caused by trauma. One patient was paraplegic, paralysed from the knees down, and the other was tetraplegic, with some voluntary movement of the hands but no capacity to grasp. Both patients had been injured more than two years ago and had received conventional rehabilitation treatments throughout their recovery, and continued to do so during the stimulation treatment.

After approximately six months of the stimulation treatment, the paraplegic patient could bend both ankles, and the tetraplegic could grasp an object.

"We observed strengthened neural connections and partial restoration of movement to muscles which the patients were previously entirely unable to use," explained Dr Shulga.

The movement restored during the treatment was still present a month after the stimulation treatment had ended. One of the patients is participating in a further study in which stimulation is given more extensively and for an even longer period.

Dr Jyrki Makela, head of the BioMag laboratory, where the study was conducted, pointed out, "This is a case study with two patients only, but we think the results are promising. Further study is needed to confirm whether long-term paired associative stimulation can be used in rehabilitation after spinal cord injury by itself and, possibly, in combination with other therapeutic strategies."

The study appears in the journal Spinal Cord Series and Cases.

Ahhhh this is amazing!

My FES bike has been collecting dust for over a year now lol, but I doubt FES alone can restore function? Don't get me wrong it massively helps increase muscle size and mass in my legs - though I gave up on it over a year ago.

It would be amazing to build an exoskeleton which is controlled through that chip in rhe brain, BUT it uses FES to move the legs VOLUNTARILY! THIS WOULD BE AMAZING!!!

Would this not be amazing at helping restore function?

Nice post mate! I might get back on my FES bike now... atleast for healthier legs....

From the short article they didn't say FES specifically, but maybe thats what peripheral nerve stimulation means.
    It also says they combined it with transcranial magnetic stimulation.
    When I search for that it seems like there is equipment out there that can do this already - http://www.eneura.com/tms.html
    Seems like there are lots of kinds of TMS though, but would be nice to know what they used.

It would be great to know exactly what equipment they used, it looks a bit like creating frankensteins monster.
    I'm up for having a go though!

Update - just found out its available on the NHS in the UK
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...by-40-per-cent
    Keep on meaning to tell my doctor about my headaches
    Last edited by niallel; 07-18-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added about uk prescription

This sounds similar to the advanced platform technology centers trial with the addition of the transcranial magnetic stimulation. Peripheral stimulation is where they connect directly to the nerve instead of using surface stimulation pads like on a FES bike. I was implanted with multi-contact peripheral nerve electrodes on my femoral nerve that works my quads.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Here is a link with a video showing one of the patients
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-rst070816.php
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

I'm going to the Miami project on Thursday, the doctor performing the study said that they are going to use TMS and electrical stimulation to the brain, usually the electrical stimulation is closer to my feet, he said the electrical stimulation to the brain is very uncomfortable, the part of the brain that controls the feet is deeper in the skull, so even the tms feels like someone hitting you on the head with a shovel.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    so even the tms feels like someone hitting you on the head with a shovel.
    Just like when I forget to go to the bathroom!

Hope it goes well for you, please let us know how it goes and what they use.

Trekker6 please find out what tms unit they are using or if they recommend one for home use. I've been reading that tms may reduce spasticity
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    Trekker6 please find out what tms unit they are using or if they recommend one for home use. I've been reading that tms may reduce spasticity
    I don't think there is a home unit, the tms for legs especially is like a giant thick mask and it has to be placed carefully to hit the desired spots, I'll ask though.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

They'll probably tell you there is no home unit, I heard that all the time with equipment in the hospital. But when I looked for the exact make and model of stuff I found that you can get nearly anything you want online.
    If you got the make and model that would be perfect.