Thread: This is the new laptop I just purchased, price and configuration baseline FYI

This is the new laptop I just purchased, price and configuration baseline FYI

For those who are looking to buy a laptop this is what I got.

While in the hospital last time I upgrade my Dell running Windows XP to this new laptop running Windows 10 I bought at the factory outlet for $909, usually it's about $1350. Purchased Another 8 GB of RAM from New Egg for $35, For a total of 16 GB.

Yes, I am a firm believer in more RAM is better, I also just upgraded my main machine to a I7 6400K with 64 GB RAM and two 500 GB SSD drives. Using the built-in Intel graphics was better than anything Provided by adding a video card. The laptop came with a 4 GB of DDR 5 on a Nvidia video card, the presumed it was necessary to run the 4K resolution.

My criteria was for a win Pro And a SSD drive, to get this combination this is what I bought. Never intended to buy a touchscreen computer at any time but because of the price and Availability I got this one. For all Intents and purposes it does pretty well.

Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7559)

6th Generation Intel? Core? i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)]

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, English

8GB Single channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)

256GB SSD [256GB Solid State Drive] + 1TB 5.4k HDD [1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive]

NVIDIA? GeForce? GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display

Wowzer!

Inspiron 15 7000 Series, Multi-Media Laptop | Dell

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/in...ai157w10ps5724

Laptops sure have come a long way since I upgraded. Took less than a minute to add the other memory chip (SODIMM). Take the same amount of time to replace or add an SSD or M 2 drive.

This is the only machine I have that runs Windows 10 so I am playing with it to see if I'll upgrade the other three boxes running Windows 7, the old laptop is running XP.

It has the same warranty as a new machine and not one machine that I bought from the outlet mall has ever failed me.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Chrome book for GNU/Linux

I got an Acer C720P, but it was just enough OS to run Chrome browser. So I enabled SeaBIOS, put in a bigger M.2 flash drive and installed Debian. Now run Chrome on X11 rather than Freon. Debian gives me all the apps I want as I can't do everything in a web browser.

Though sold as Chrome books, Chrome OS is based on minimal GNU/Linux so can boot GNU/Linux as an actual fully fledged OS. SeaBIOS is easier for Debian.

https://johnlewis.ie/

For a while I had Chrome VNCing in to a Debian chroot and it sucked. Most of the trouble was init or systemd could not run in chroot so I had to make a fake init to control the show inside the chroot. However, if all you want to do is web, gmail, drive, docs and sheets then Chrome OS will do.

The P is a touch screen which is not much good with twm, but extra memory and SSD is good and it is faster than my old MacBook Pro.
    Last edited by zagam; 09-20-2016 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Attribute build of SeaBIOS