Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New wheelchair back compatable with ZX1?

Thanks for the information! I have checked out those links and saved them. That flip up sideguard has that attachment hardware at the back vertical post and looks way to heavy to deal with. I think the custom sideguards would be my best route. A sideguard that's about 1/2" lower and following the arc of the tire would be great and allow transfer without removing it. My main issue there is support for my right hip which was dislocated many years ago, and a custom, lower sideguard would work.
    I have an older TiLite with sideguards that I'll think of customizing. Will need to get help with that from TiLite or someone local.

Do I recall that you once posted about installing receptacles for the Swing Away tubular armrests, so things would not interfere with the ZX1 anti-tippers?
    Not planning to go that route at present, but may need address that if I go with a new chair.

That makes a lot of sense to me to use some old sideguards. My guess is that it would be pretty cheap and easy to have a local machine shop that works with aluminium cut them. Use something like a white crayon to trace the profile of the tires on the sidequards. If it leaves sharp edges you could use some car weather stripping with Gorilla Glue, like what is on the ADI CF sidequards.

About receptacles (brackets) for the ZRA Swing Away tubular armrests, I wrote a lot about it in the ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread, with the relevant posts and information also on our website, see Armrest Bracket Adjustment / Center of Gravity. In summary, it ended up that the biggest issues we had were conflicts with the ZX-1 armrest brackets and the ZRA armrest brackets. We fixed it by mounting the ZX-1 armrest brackets further back than the ZX-1 anti-tilt brackets (COG) with an extra set of nuts, washers, and bolts. We also had a lot of other fiddly conflicts with the user-friendly anti-tips and D's Locks, along with having a back rigidizer bar that is just a tad bit too low and conflicted with the backrest release bar. It was all quite the puzzle, and we only have about a millimeter to spare, but we were able to keep all the ZRA equipment and use the ZX-1.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks for the information! I have checked out those links and saved them. That flip up sideguard has that attachment hardware at the back vertical post and looks way to heavy to deal with. I think the custom sideguards would be my best route. A sideguard that's about 1/2" lower and following the arc of the tire would be great and allow transfer without removing it. My main issue there is support for my right hip which was dislocated many years ago, and a custom, lower sideguard would work.
    I have an older TiLite with sideguards that I'll think of customizing. Will need to get help with that from TiLite or someone local.

Do I recall that you once posted about installing receptacles for the Swing Away tubular armrests, so things would not interfere with the ZX1 anti-tippers?
    Not planning to go that route at present, but may need address that if I go with a new chair.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks....shows a lot of determination and ingenuity on your part.