Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad (C5/6) looking to buy an easy-to-push *manual* wheelchair.

Thanks ancientgimp.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    It is critical that your chair is the correct width. A too wide chair makes pushing much harder.

I agree with ancientgimp above that it is important that you fit right in the chair, this will make more of a difference than a few pounds.

You can order projections straight up, as I have, or angled out; also you can select different lengths.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

tilite tr and ribgrips imo. I'm not a fan of projection handrims but brian rocks them. I'm a big quad 6'2 so I keep my chair foot print small as I can. I currently run 17x16 + 2 on the frame. my 2nd chair suggestion is colours.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm looking up those "Ribgrips" now...new to me. Thanks for the suggestion, Fuentejps.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    tilite tr and ribgrips imo. I'm not a fan of projection handrims but brian rocks them. I'm a big quad 6'2 so I keep my chair foot print small as I can. I currently run 17x16 + 2 on the frame. my 2nd chair suggestion is colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I used to get them by going through a company called Ocelco, who had them made by Invacare, you can't purchase them direct. But when I purchased my current chair, Invacare was still on hold due to some issues, so I had them made by Melrose Wheelchairs, they were about $350 for the set. If you want to go that route, let me know and I can help you spec out a set.
    Thanks for your post on the projection rims. I remember using projection rims early on. The main draw back was the rubber kept coming off the pegs and the metal stabbed my hands but I was definitely more independent ie ramps and wheeling out doors. I have been using pushblax but I?m now 43 years post injury and losing strength so I am considering the projection rims again after this post. I wasn?t aware of the custom option until coming across your post. Hopefully the vinyl sticks better to the pegs than the rubber did years ago?
    I have a meeting next week with my supplier to discuss tires, brakes and pushrims. Currently I use 24X1 Shoxs on Spinergy rims. I am looking at new blax, ribgrips and now perhaps custom projection handrims. Could you share your specs ahead of my meeting? Thanks
    Rob

Hi Beckman -- I am away from home this weekend. I will reply when I get back.

holy crap, someone trashed that chair!. It should have pushed as good as anything around if properly set up= balance and toe on the rear wheels.
    I think you should go to the manufacturers thread and read about the Tilites. They were good, but have been bought by a foreign corporation and their quality and customer service has gone down.
    I don't know where you are in Ill, but if you get hold of Brain at Ideamobility.com. he is in Milwaukee area and a long time quad, might be able to advise and help you.

Here is the progression I have had with custom projection rims on my TR's.

I ordered my first TR with projection rims from TiLite and as you can see from the picture, they are of little use.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...v/DSCN1867.jpg

The ones I had made for my first TR worked okay, but I erred on the side of caution and in the end wished I made their overall diameter slightly larger.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...1_19-57-24.jpg

I cannot find my old (Ocelco) sheet I filled out for ordering my hand rims above, I may have threw it out as they were for 24" wheels and I now use 25"

Here is my spec for my 25" hand rims:
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/ScofieldKjv/Ocelco_25_zpsl5yvkrkr.jpg

Which results in:
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pshgw9szrj.jpg

For 24" wheels, you should simply reduce the Center-to-center number by 1", i.e. 18.75". If you order a set, be sure to emphasize that you definitely want Q-tabs; I have had them switch that on me thinking they know better than I what I want. I also recommend checking with Ocelco first to see if you can once again get them from them, as they supply you with the necessary hardware to mount them. My current set from Melrose, I had to source my own.

The vinyl coat they use these days is indeed far batter than it once was. Over time you will wear some off here and there, but it will not continue to peel off like years back.

As for TiLite, I agree with the previous post about their customer support going down in quality. As for the chairs themselves, this I do not know. I purchased a new TR this year, my third TR, and it is a great chair.

** I was having trouble trying to open the link to my spec sheet, so here is a direct view:
    Last edited by Brianm; 07-31-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Brian that is very helpful