Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad (C5/6) looking to buy an easy-to-push *manual* wheelchair.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Quad (C5/6) looking to buy an easy-to-push *manual* wheelchair.

Pardon me if my question is vague, but this is mainly due to my lack of experience with manual wheelchairs and not knowing what options are available (nowadays) for such chairs.

Anyway, my injury level is C5/6 complete and I've used a power chair as my primary chair all my life. I have an old Quickie brand manual chair that was given to me around 1989 (yeah I know 27 years is ancient), and I mostly used it when the need arose to travel by car. Occasionally, I also used push myself for very short distances too, but when the Quickie got damaged it become extremely hard to push so I stopped using it altogether for that purpose. Plus it was somewhat heavy too, so that discouraged me as well.

Now it's 2016 and I want to try another one. I need a manual chair that's super lightweight and easy to push, and it has to be foldable so that I can easily put it in a car. I used to use push mitts but the sticky Dycem material used to wear-out fast, and even though the rims were rubberized I still could not propel the chair adequately without the push mitts so this time I'm considering Quad Rims for a new chair.

So with that being said, what make/model chair should I look into first? Is there anything else I need to consider? Also, if you're a high quad who frequently use a manual chair then what kind do you have?

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I will be paying out-of-pocket for this new chair.

what's wrong with the quickie. i''ve kept mine going 35 years and got a new tilite recently to replace it, but its such a piece of shit i just stay in my quickie. look at ideamobility.com the guy that runs it is your level and just up in wisconsin, so might be able to advise you

Hi baldfatdad, thanks for replying. I'm not sure exactly how or even when my old Quickie GPV was damaged because the person who did it (I believe it was done by one of my sorry ass 'helpers' back then) never even bothered to tell me. I *discovered* this by chance when I needed to travel by car and attend a funeral of a close family member. When I saw the Quickie, several spokes were broken and the chair was very difficult to push and maneuver. The front casters also had to be replaced, which I did. The chair was already hard to push due to the weight of the chair so I refused to put any more money into it for additional repairs...especially knowing that better lightweight chairs are/were available.

BTW, I've nothing but good news/reviews about the TiLite...what don't you like about it???

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    what's wrong with the quickie. i''ve kept mine going 35 years and got a new tilite recently to replace it, but its such a piece of shit i just stay in my quickie. look at ideamobility.com the guy that runs it is your level and just up in wisconsin, so might be able to advise you
    Last edited by UrbanWheeler76; 07-15-2016 at 09:40 PM.

The TiLite Areo Z (or Aero T) are rigid chairs, but the rear wheels pop off and the back folds down make the chair very compact for transport; they are adjustable and will be lighter than a folding chair.

While I greatly respect SCI-Nurse, I have a much different view on projection handrims. My injury is also C5-6 complete and I have used projection handrims for over 30 years and would not be nearly as active without them. The biggest problem with them is, to have a set that works best for you, you need to have them custom made. TiLite offer them when you order a chair but they will be near worthless as they design them with the projections way too low incase of a flat. I have mine made to the exact specs I want and they work great, which is how they used to be made.

I made a couple (bad) videos a few years back, I am a couple chairs beyond the one in the video, but they will give you the gist. My ramp is much steeper than the video shows, unfortunately.

At the end of this video, I was ?trying? to show different ways to grab the projections to move around, but it came out odd, a last second thought.

Here are the handrims on my latest chair, a TiLite TR.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    The TiLite Areo Z (or Aero T) are rigid chairs, but the rear wheels pop off and the back folds down make the chair very compact for transport; they are adjustable and will be lighter than a folding chair.

While I greatly respect SCI-Nurse, I have a much different view on projection handrims. My injury is also C5-6 complete and I have used projection handrims for over 30 years and would not be nearly as active without them. The biggest problem with them is, to have a set that works best for you, you need to have them custom made. TiLite offer them when you order a chair but they will be near worthless as they design them with the projections way too low incase of a flat. I have mine made to the exact specs I want and they work great, which is how they used to be made.

Brian, thank you very much for the info; especially your comments and video concerning the projection handrims...smooth! Oh, and I never even knew or heard about *custom* handrims! So where/how did you acquire them? How much did that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWheeler76 View Post
    Brian, thank you very much for the info; especially your comments and video concerning the projection handrims...smooth! Oh, and I never even knew or heard about *custom* handrims! So where/how did you acquire them? How much did that cost?
    I used to get them by going through a company called Ocelco, who had them made by Invacare, you can't purchase them direct. But when I purchased my current chair, Invacare was still on hold due to some issues, so I had them made by Melrose Wheelchairs, they were about $350 for the set. If you want to go that route, let me know and I can help you spec out a set.

Thanks again Brian, I will most definitely keep you posted. Now it's time for me to do some serious wheelchair comparisons and analysis. The two contenders are rybread's Quickie Q7 recommendation and the seemingly favored TLight chairs!

I used to get them by going through a company called Ocelco, who had them made by Invacare, you can't purchase them direct. But when I purchased my current chair, Invacare was still on hold due to some issues, so I had them made by Melrose Wheelchairs, they were about $350 for the set. If you want to go that route, let me know and I can help you spec out a set.

EDIT: I just LOVE the fact that those handrims do not protrude outwards and make getting through doors/hallways difficult.
    Last edited by UrbanWheeler76; 07-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.

holy crap, someone trashed that chair!. It should have pushed as good as anything around if properly set up= balance and toe on the rear wheels.
    I think you should go to the manufacturers thread and read about the Tilites. They were good, but have been bought by a foreign corporation and their quality and customer service has gone down.
    I don't know where you are in Ill, but if you get hold of Brain at Ideamobility.com. he is in Milwaukee area and a long time quad, might be able to advise and help you.

Thanks for your post on the projection rims. I remember using projection rims early on. The main draw back was the rubber kept coming off the pegs and the metal stabbed my hands but I was definitely more independent ie ramps and wheeling out doors. I have been using pushblax but I?m now 43 years post injury and losing strength so I am considering the projection rims again after this post. I wasn?t aware of the custom option until coming across your post. Hopefully the vinyl sticks better to the pegs than the rubber did years ago?
    I have a meeting next week with my supplier to discuss tires, brakes and pushrims. Currently I use 24X1 Shoxs on Spinergy rims. I am looking at new blax, ribgrips and now perhaps custom projection handrims. Could you share your specs ahead of my meeting? Thanks
    Rob

Hi Beckman -- I am away from home this weekend. I will reply when I get back.