Thread: Has anyone tried an intensive standing program

Has anyone tried an intensive standing program

Because of my injury and my spasms I spend most the Day in a chair obviously knees bent in a seated position,once I get in bed my legs do not sit nicely straight the hips and knees bent almost to return to their "natural" seated position. Obviously this is detrimental to the joints and muscles. I was wondering if anyone has done an intensive standing program, basically where you keep your legs straight for minimum two weeks. It would basically be like something where you spend most of the day in the standing frame, any time you get out to give your feet a break you either go into a prone position or where leg braces. At night if you can sleep on your stomach great, it's like me you can't you wear leg braces. Basically the hip flexors are constantly straight into natural position getting stretched and so are the knees

I'm thinking that this would have amazing impact on posture, your joint and muscle health but also spasms and tightness, we're constantly almost curled up.so to stay straight for a long period of time like we used to would be amazing. Not to mention how great all that standing would be for your ankle joint and circulation. But this is obviously a pretty difficult thing to do also, requires some very cooperative and available caregivers.

If be worried about your feet (pressure ulcers) during the long standing....

Great idea, but this has to be something that you progress yourself into. Going from sitting/laying 99% of the time to standing for two weeks straight could be damaging in a number of ways.

Rather, try to shoot for an hour or so a day standing, and then slowly work your way up from there until you can spend the majority of your day in a standing position.

I do think laying with braces on would be good for your hamstrings, though, and is something you could do a lot of from the start.
    Project Walk Atlanta
    SCI Rehabilitation
    www.projectwalkatlanta.org

I stood with long leg braces, in parallel bars and did assisted simulated walking 1 hour a day every day for the first 10 years of my injury. I was a new injury and worked up to 1 hour over a period of a few months with no side effects.

Now I do my own ROM every day and lay flat on bed at night with a tucked in sheet across my knees. So after sitting all day I am flat at night.
    ^^(A)^^

A standing wheelchair would be excellent for this.

Quote Originally Posted by lundahl View Post
    Great idea, but this has to be something that you progress yourself into. Going from sitting/laying 99% of the time to standing for two weeks straight could be damaging in a number of ways.

Rather, try to shoot for an hour or so a day standing, and then slowly work your way up from there until you can spend the majority of your day in a standing position.

I do think laying with braces on would be good for your hamstrings, though, and is something you could do a lot of from the start.
    I think it would only be dangerous for the skin as infuriating as that is! what else could it damage? We are very much meant to stand. Yeah I sleep with braces all night, they're called Dynasplint's when I despise him they actually have spring-loaded action so my leg will move with despise him once they let up The braces return my leg to a straight position! I don't really have a choice on wearing these, I can't sleep without him and frankly it's unsafe my spasms will roll me around, my knees back and hips will be in unhealthy positions all night. I wrap my leg with sheep wall to protect the skin from the straps. I'm hoping that constantly scratching my hip flexors keeping the knees straight for a long period of time will help this, stop my body from constantly trying to curl up as tight as it can