Thread: External Switches for iPhones

External Switches for iPhones

I am C-4/5 quad. After getting in bed, I don't have much mobility in my arms, but I use a large button connected to a Jabra hands-free speakerphone (modified by Craig Hospital) to use my iPhone when I'm in bed. I can answer calls, redial, and use Siri.

Long story short, I'm tired of using the Jabra because the sound has to always go through its speaker instead of the iPhone speakerphone. The iPhone speakerphone is much better! After a lot of effort, I still haven't been able to figure out how to make Siri default to the speakerphone instead of the Bluetooth speaker. I can make calls default to the speakerphone through Settings | General | Accessibility | Call Audio Routing | Speaker.

I have found all kinds of info online about using external switches with an iPhone. You can use the Switch Control to connect directly with a Bluetooth external switch. Great! My only trouble is finding ANY Bluetooth external switches. Moreover, I need an external switch that will be large enough for me to hit with my elbow while in bed. The current button that I use is about 5 inches in diameter.

Any idea about quad friendly external switches?

I believe you'll need a Bluetooth switch interface like the Ablenet Blue2 and then plug 1 or 2 external switches into it. Not to push Ablenet in particular, but you can also search on their (or others', I'm sure) switch assortment by size to get one that's big enough for you.

Actually, the button that I use is the Big Red Button by AbleNet. I don't know much about the receivers. It's not even clear on their website what the receivers do. Are these something that I could use to connect wirelessly to my cell phone? Send the switch signal from the big red button to the cell phone?

Yes, you pair the Blue2 or other Bluetooth interface w/ the iPhone like any other Bluetooth device and then set up the switches attached to it. There's a specific order to the process, but it should be one and done. Here is one description of it.

Which Iphone do you have? I have an Iphone 6s and I can just tell siri who to call and to put it on speaker and she does it for me without me touching the phone at all. I just simply say "Hey siri call home on speaker" and she does it.

I have the iPhone 5S, but I'll be updating in the next six months or so. I'm aware of the "Hey Siri" function (I use it all the time when it's charging on my desk!), but the things it doesn't do is pick up a phone call or hang up. Isn't that right? It's expensive to get an external switch just to be able to answer phone calls, but very worthwhile.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    http://www.apple.com/shop/accessorie.../accessibility
    Various switch interfaces.
    https://www.ablenetinc.com/
    Microsoft and Android too.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Retro tech is accessible tech

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

This takes stuff all Si real estate and lead count so they still put this on the South Bridge (Super IO) chip. They also still have an 8042 core and PS/2 keyboard and mouse support.

(Funny story about PeeCees. They changed scan code from PC/AT large DIN to PS/2 mini DIN, but the 8042 has to changes them back to PC/AT so as to not break things. The PS/2 keyboard boots up in PC/AT so you could just not change the scan codes and have the 8042 not do the remapping. In GNU/Linux these PC/AT events are then mapped to USB HID and multiplexed with any other keyboard(s) that you might have. The virtual TTY then maps these to normal characters.)

They may still use similar in the cost sensitive console market.

These are still supported in GNU/Linux. Can be used as a pointing device for X.Org. Kernel supports it too.

Code:
    $ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -name \*game\*
    ./kernel/drivers/input/joystick/gamecon.ko
    ./kernel/drivers/input/gameport
    ./kernel/drivers/input/gameport/gameport.ko
    Last edited by zagam; 08-22-2016 at 01:56 AM. Reason: No speak english