Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10?

Re - Saving the Win10 upgrade -

This is from a newsletter I get from the "Windows Secrets" site - great resource imho.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...for-later-use/

If privacy is not a big concern, you can switch to Win10. They will probably start to turn off their support to win7 over time.
    Or just stay on Win7, especially if you do not change your software much.

Aaaand - looks like there's an anniversary update for Windows 10

I don't see the point in not upgrading to Windows 10. As far as the privacy goes you can turn all those features off. And if you use a Android or Apple iPhone, or Google, then what really are you worried about because you've already given up your privacy.

I have Windows 10 installed on 3 different computers. I keep them updated and have had no issues since release.

Side note I did do clean installs on all three systems. I also rely on voice software

If you have specific software you're concerned about I would just check with the manufacturer and make sure that their compatibility issues have been taken care of.

Upgrading to Windows 10 is pretty much inevitable

5 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 - CNET

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-reasons...to-windows-10/

But while you can get Windows Photo Viewer back in Windows 10, you can't get Windows Media Center back. Because it's gone, along with DVD playback support. For many, this isn't a huge loss -- many of us stream rather than watch DVDs, after all, and Microsoft has been trying to kill off Media Center since Windows 8. But for some, it could be a deal breaker. If you're a Media Center fan -- or if you desperately love any other legacy features that don't currently exist in Windows 10 -- then Windows 10 may not be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    5 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 - CNET

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-reasons...to-windows-10/

But while you can get Windows Photo Viewer back in Windows 10, you can't get Windows Media Center back. Because it's gone, along with DVD playback support. For many, this isn't a huge loss -- many of us stream rather than watch DVDs, after all, and Microsoft has been trying to kill off Media Center since Windows 8. But for some, it could be a deal breaker. If you're a Media Center fan -- or if you desperately love any other legacy features that don't currently exist in Windows 10 -- then Windows 10 may not be for you.
    I use VLC media player for almost all my video watching. I used to use Windows Media Center but found VLC quicker.

But when was the last time you actually physically used a DVD to play on your computer?

Also I just bought a brand new Asus Tower and I typed in media player and guess what's installed? Media player. I haven't tried to play a DVD because I honestly don't see the reason but if I did VLC really is a most definite alternative.. I can only see this really being a problem if you are trying to use Windows 10 as a dedicated media center. Media Center as in it was solely built for watching movies. Even in that case there are better options.

Also Windows 10 is designed to run on a multitude of platforms. You would have to be running an extremely old computer to experience severe problems. I had it running on a quad core from 2009 and it did just fine. If your Hardware is too old to be supported it's probably time to get rid of that Hardware.

In 2016 there's no such thing as privacy anymore.

And there's no reason to not want to update when updates are rolled out. The simple fact CNET sees this as a problem boggles my mind. General users not updating their system is only asking for trouble. Those updates many times are to fix exploits as well as fixing bugs.

Overall those are pretty weak reasons not to update.
    Last edited by PC720; 07-24-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Well I spoke too soon... Windows 10 did not nor would not recognize my Bluray/DVD player so I ended up reverting back to Windows 7.

Windows 10 is like cancer
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

OMG - I'm so old!
    I can remember people having arguments like this over -
    1. Upgrading from CP/M to MS DOS
    2. Upgrading from MS DOS to Windows!

(Granted they were all a bunch of propeller heads)