Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stay with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Well I spoke too soon... Windows 10 did not nor would not recognize my Bluray/DVD player so I ended up reverting back to Windows 7.
    Did you update the hardware driver specifically for that Blu Ray Drive? I'm assuming it is a laptop you would actually have to go into the device manager and look to see who the manufacturer is and other Vital Information

And also did you try the VLC?

This was on my Home Theater PC. I store my movies on it and use it to stream video to my TV. When I updated to Windows 10, my BLURAY/DVD player/burner no longer appeared in my hardware. There was no drive showing for me to update. When I put a movie in, it did nothing. When I used VLC to play a disc, it was as though I didn't have a drive installed. My bios recognized the drive but Windows 10 did not. When I went back to Windows 7, all was well. Now the free update is no longer available, so I'm not gonna fiddle with it.

CP/M is an OS

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    OMG - I'm so old!
    I can remember people having arguments like this over -
    1. Upgrading from CP/M to MS DOS
    2. Upgrading from MS DOS to Windows!

(Granted they were all a bunch of propeller heads)
    I purchased CP/M because it was a real OS in that everything was done with syscalls in the first 0x100 of memory that you called from PL/M on any machine that supported CP/M. The exact same PL/M code could run on 8088 PeeCee and 6502 Apple ][. There were no libraries you just called the OS on any supported platform.

Then some one hacked CP/M binaries in complete ignorance and later MicroSoft aquired that crappage after they made a promise to IBM (where Bill's mommy worked). MeS-DoS can only run on PeeCees. Attempts to port it have failed. IBM tried on PowerPC, SGI tried on Visual Workstation and DEC tried on Alpha and all failed.

CP/M and PL/M are an OS for toy computers just as Unix and C are an OS for almost toy computers. Both were carefully designed and they were not accidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kildall

CP/M had the hooks for faster CPUs that MicroSoft never figured out how to use.

I had to borrow a copy of that pirated CP/M called MeS-DoS as crapola applications required it. I used to hammer WP 5.1 writing and maintainin ISO 9001 systems. I also purchased WP 5.2 for Unix. Used Lotus 123, but never Microsoft Excel.

PL/M sat well with real programmers who used PL/I on real computers.

Windows is just MeS-DoS (or NT) with a GDI. It is not an OS.
    Last edited by zagam; 09-20-2016 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Can't spell

I contacted LG about my Blu-ray drive not showing up after I installed Win 10. They supposedly have a solution but I will need to reinstall 10 to try it out.
    My question is, since I downloaded and installed 10 when it was still free, but went back to 7 because of my conflict, can I reinstall 10 freely or will it cost me? If its going to cost me, I'll just wait until a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I contacted LG about my Blu-ray drive not showing up after I installed Win 10. They supposedly have a solution but I will need to reinstall 10 to try it out.
    My question is, since I downloaded and installed 10 when it was still free, but went back to 7 because of my conflict, can I reinstall 10 freely or will it cost me? If its going to cost me, I'll just wait until a later time.
    I'm answering my own post.
    I reinstalled Windows 10 and did so freely, plus, this time when I installed Windows, my Blu-ray drive was recognized and everything worked as it should. Yay me.