Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessible vehicle with better ground clearance

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI conversion. Our area is relatively hilly, and I haven't experienced ground clearance problems. That said, steep ramps into and out of parking garages, transitioning from flat sidewalks has been a problem, especially with 2 or 3 adults sitting on the back seat. Some speed bumps are trouble, even if 115 lb. NL is in the van by herself.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    You may like to check out Nor-Cal Vans to see their Personal Mobility Transit if you can handle a larger vehicle. It's under Ford Transit.

I have a large powerchair and it's difficult for me to see out of the windshield of mini vans even with a dropped floor.

www.nor-calvans.com
    Last edited by forestranger52; 08-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

The 2017 MV-1s are supposed to have automatic doors available

I had the same issues with an older dodge van.

In my case I just changed to higher aspect ratio tire.

I think we went from a 65 to a 75.

So if your van has 225/65R15 then 225/70R15 would have a higher side wall.

Aspect Ratio is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be

I had a 2005 Sienna with IMS conversion. I now have a 2016 Sienna with Braun. The new van has more headroom but less ground clearance than the last van. Last van would scrape occasionally, new van scrapes more often. Nothing serious but not something you don't like to hear. The low point is the exhaust pipe under the center area. If Braun had a little creativity with pipe shape and /or placement they could gain a half to 1 inch more clearance. I think the VMI's have better clearance but I can't get past how jacked up they look.

Getting taller wheels/tires will increase clearance but for every inch you increase the diameter you only gain one half inch of clearance. Taller tires will cause your speedometer/odometer to be inaccurate.