Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessible vehicle with better ground clearance

Accessible vehicle with better ground clearance

I currently have a 2014 Odyssey with a VMI conversion and since I live in a hilly area the bottom is constantly scraping. I used to have a Dodge Entervan that had the same problem.

I originally got the Odyssey and had high tech controls installed so that I could drive, but driving hasn't worked out for me.

I've looked at the MV-1 and it's supposed to have great ground clearance, but it doesn't have an automatic door which I really want for convenience.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Have you tried to get larger wheels? It might increase ramp angle but not hugely

Sorry, can't suggest anything.
    My husband and I (both wheelers) visited a dealership that had an MV-1, and checked it out. We both can drive independently, and have full size vans. What a disappointment to find that an attendant would be needed to close and open the door and deploy the long ramp. We loved the inside, with space for the two of us.
    I was unable to independently push up the ramp to the vehicle as it was too steep for me. Apparently there are two lengths for the ramp, and this was the longer one - less of an incline!
    I don't know if MV1 has made any changes since then. If one has an attendant/helper along, this might be a good choice as it certainly has the ground clearance you need.

I just bought a Sienna and had a Link driver's seat and Speedy Lift installed. Not as convenient as a ramp van, but better ground clearance, full, flat cargo area and AWD for winter. Also not suitable for a power chair.

I thought about getting larger tires, but I'm concerned about the tires scraping when turning. I'll have to make some phone calls and see if that's an option for me.

For the MV-1 wife is usually with me so she could open the door and deploy the ramp, but we're about to have a baby and I'm trying to make things easier and quicker. We might need to check one out though and see if we like it.

I do use a power chair so the speedy lift is out.

Thank you for all of the great responses!

Blog Entries
    If your budget permits it, you might check out an SUV conversion to see what the clearance would be.

http://www.mobilityworks.com/vehicle...-crossover.php
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by C2Inc View Post
    I thought about getting larger tires, but I'm concerned about the tires scraping when turning. I'll have to make some phone calls and see if that's an option for me.

For the MV-1 wife is usually with me so she could open the door and deploy the ramp, but we're about to have a baby and I'm trying to make things easier and quicker. We might need to check one out though and see if we like it.

Thank you for all of the great responses!
    How much ground clearance do you need? My 2014 Sienna with a VMI conversion does pretty good over big speed bumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

take it to tire dealer and they can tell you how big a tire will fit. how about a skid plate? ask a local 4x4 place what they could put on.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by C2Inc View Post

I drive a 2004 Toyota Sienna from my power wheelchair. I use a Superarm lift instead of a ramp. It works great (12 years old and still like new). I weigh about 450 lbs, and it lifts up to 600 lbs. http://www.handicapsinc.com/V3Superarm2000.htm

I'm about to get a 2016 Toyota Sienna with a lowered floor, and I have the same concern as you do about ground clearance. An unconverted Sienna has a 6.5 inch ground clearance. My conversion will be done by FMI (Freedom Motors), and they say it will have only 5.35 inch clearance.

Thanks for the tip on larger tires. I thought I could get larger wheels (e.g. 18 inch instead of 17 inch), but I guess the tires are normally shorter, so it doesn't help with the ground clearance problem. For example, I can get P235/60R17 or P235/55R18 tires on the new vehicle. The 18 means 1 inch more wheel radius, but 55 means a shorter tire by almost an inch. I will call too about tire size. If can use P235/60R18 tires on 18 inch wheels, that should help.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you.