Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Potential of Curcumin in Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury

Thank you Grammy and James.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossa View Post
    [My apologies for the potential double post and clunky notations; I had posted this first a few days ago and it seemed to get caught in the spam filter because of the in-line links.]

Nowadays most popularly sold curcumin supplements are gel capsules of curcumin mixed with black pepper extract; the most common formulation is called "BioPerine". Black pepper extract contains a chemical called piperine, a CYP3A4 inhibitor (as is curcumin itself, but piperine more so). CYP3A4 is one of the main liver enzymes utilized in drug metabolism, and if blocked, many drugs become much more potent as they remain longer in circulation before being metabolized and deactivated. (Some common food ingredients also inhibit CYP3A4; this is why grapefruit juice has a long "do-not-take-with-these-medications" list.)

However, bioavailability is only part of the story, and I would direct SCI folks to take a look at Longvida over BioPerine formulations. "Longvida" is the retail brand of a UCLA research project to make curcumin not just more bioavailable, but also more blood-brain barrier penetrating -- and hence active in the brain and spinal cord. The Alzheimer's clinical trials in progress are utilizing Longvida (here's a rundown from UCLA Neurology).

As to potential health benefits for SCI individuals, there is limited evidence of elevated inflammation and reduced antioxidant concentration persisting in the spinal cord at chronic time points after SCI. Daily oral dosing of potent anti-inflammatories like curcumin hypothetically could affect that, but the actual efficacy or health implications of doing so in SCI are unknown. (This question is being studied with Vit.E in a pilot trial at McMaster University in Canada.)
    Interesting. I'm taking a curcumin complex with bioperine, but will check out Longvida. Thanks!

I drink golden milk, made with turmeric paste, black pepper, ginger, nutmeg, some kind of nut milk, milk, raw honey and coconut oil.
    its good for health. it didn't help with inflammation as much as id hoped, but its very nice to drink.
    its like having hot chocolate, except its golden milk.