Thread: Need help with accesibility

Lightbulb Need help with accesibility

Hi my family just bought a couple apartments and I asked them to make two of them very handicap accessible. These are kind of small apartments like Studio 1 bedroom. Can you guys please help me with ideas I could give to them. The apartments aren't very accessible at all. I want to make this a perfect apartment so someone that is in a wheelchair or has a disability of any kind could move in here and be comfortable. Could you guys give me any ideas or suggestions on how to make this apartment totally accessible for all disabilities. Anything at all is helpful. Thank you guys so much and I Look to You guys when I need help with caregivers, life, anything to do with disabilities. I've been injured around 5 years and I know a lot of you older folks that have been in jail longer have a lot of ideas, gadgets, philosophies that you can't put a price tag on and I appreciate all of you. Again any help at all would be perfect thank you guys
    JFK

Check visitability.org for a few basics, and ADA for details. I imagine the largest obstacle will be making the bathroom accessible; that requires a big footprint.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

There are roll-in shower kits that fit in a standard size bathtub footprint (mine is 30" by 55"). Pedestal sinks in bathroom work well and of course ADA height toilet (mine is 18" at lid). In kitchen perhaps use shallow sink mounted so that roll under at standard wheelchair height (maybe 27" clearance). Our countertops are at 31" except at the dishwasher. We have an electric cooktop that is at 31" high and provides roll under clearance of 29". We also have a wall oven starting at 25", makes it easy to get turkey out at knee level on Thanksgiving. When you set up a kitchen like this you eliminate a lot of cabinet space so you need to design to put cabinets elsewhere.

Because yours are small, studio sized it is more likely a single person without a live in care giver will rent the space. All the more reason to make kitchen accessible.

Thanks although I really appreciate the help

To meet with compliance to the ADA law go to their web site. Sites like this one are lot of help as would placing yourself in a chair yourself around and figure out how your particular space can be made easier to use. Try to assume the most difficult personal condition for your trial. This may help a lot. Legalities can never cover every particular person's individual situation. Hint start at the walk way approaching this living space. If you cannot get to and through, the front door, the best of HP internally accessible apartments are totally useless.

By the Way, ADA compliance does not solve individual issues with living in a space you have chosen for yourself. "YOU" have to resolve these things with your landlord if "YOU" are renting an apartment. If you own ADA is only useful as suggested stuff.

I have a son who is currently a compliance officer on the left coast. He says many is not most of the contractors he work with advise their customers to plan to make their NEW homes Handicapped compliant, there is no force of law even the ADA that can govern compliance with such a demand, it is simply good business! A HP Compliant dwelling just makes a lot of sense for that eventual resale. A tad larger door opening, walk in shower stalls, slide under sinks. rather open living spaces, shallow (compliant) ramped entrances, natural rain water run off! Or easier snow push off with no steps if at all possible. These very simple things can simplify life for most AB folks as well.

The single most overlooked item in my view is the first step off the sidewalk in so many in-town dwellings and stores. Those defeat my access, if I am shopping. Then "I" just move on to an easier store to access, pretty simple. This means probable loss of sales, isn't this why these businesses exist, for Customer access? Many old city store front's are the ones most often guilty. and the most boarded up, due to loss of customers, these shops close not necessarily because of us crips, but often their own attitude towards their customers and their access, the big box stores are so much easier, but sure miss the hominess of the old stores.

But to get on my soap box again, if you rent an apartment with some HP access available when "YOU" rented it, that must be maintained under the Building code, IF the call button on any elevator is heat activated, as most modern ones are, there must be a place of safety provided in case of fire, this can be a complicated provision and unless there is some site interest I will leave this at such a place of safety must be provided.

Remember
    , if this was available and working and was assumed to be included as a part of the amenities provided that lift or elevator/entrance you require to access or egress the place you lease or rent as your living space, must be maintained in working order at all times.
    Access and egress to public spaces is not negotiable! They do not even have to promise HP accessibility, just that these things could be assumed as being a part of what your rental space that you are paying for in the case of your dwelling.
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 08-25-2016 at 02:00 PM.