Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time

Time

Not morris day and the...

Time is one of the things that bothers me most about SCI. After the lack of sensation in my genitalia and well before the ability to walk, the sheer amount of time we spend dealing with the bullshit of being in a chair has been bothering me acutely the past few weeks.

I recently entered a vocation that is moderately demanding of your time. Which for the most part is nearly meaningless to my AB peers, but at times can be incredibly vexing to me.

For example, tonight we had a little get-to-know-you/welcome type of get together. Those of us who were new to the program were the main focus/guests of this little shin-dig which devolved into drinks at various bars, dragging on until nearly 2am. As one of the newbies, I felt like I couldn't be the first (or second) to go home, because... peer pressure and shit... but in any case, Most of us left after 1am and we have to be back at work in a few hours. It happens to be my night on the shitter, so I got home a little after 2 and will be sitting here digging around and typing to you all until pretty much 4am at which point I will get a couple hours sleep and wake up at 7am so I can get my shit together for work tomorrow.

My AB peers I assume will just go to sleep at 2am and wake up rested and refreshed at 8 am, ready for the next day. Meanwhile, not only will I be the gimp on the crew, but I will be the sleep deprived, damn near comatose gimp, because... time and shit. I figure I lose a good 1.5 to 2 hours per day, which works out to more like 3 hours on BP days and maybe 1 hour on days when I don't have to take a shit. That's kind of a big deal if you think about it. I'm sure AB folks wish there were more hours in the day as well, but they don't waste quite so many of them on the routine activities of daily living like we do...

Anywho... i'm just bitching. I probably shouldn't even post this, but I probably will because maybe some of you feel my pain (and/or lack of pain).

You are brave to even wanting to work with your injury. Trying to focus on work(or anything) when you are exhausted seems to me to be hard work. I umderstand your bitchieness it comes with the territory. I know I only have one mood and that is usually a shitty one. I hope it gets easier and I know time seems to be our enemy. When you are caught in a rut that you cannot shed no matter what you do.

It gets old.I try not to think about it.

Blog Entries
    I feel ya, man. I miss so much that goes on around here because of the huge time sink this injury creates. Since my BP has slowed it's like 4 hours from start to shower and dressed (I do mine in the AM, helps with my leg pain to be empty for the waking parts of the day). If I don't get up at the ass crack of dawn my peeps roll out of here for the day without me. Happens more often than I like. Missed a day at the water park yesterday.

"Ticking away, the moments that make up the dull day. Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death."

My hat's off to you for trying, too, but maybe try a little less hard. Peer pressure will land you with a real pressure issue, like a sore, or worse. You are gimped and have to work within your tolerances. You can still go VERY far without trying to "keep up" with the other kids. Maybe even pass some of them in the process. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Well, sometimes, at least.

Good luck!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Before retiring I spent a good bit of tine figuring out how to increasing efficiency trying to compensate for the hours lost to SCI related necessities of life. It was time well spent. On the other hand I probably spent more time sitting in my car while commuting in Pittsburgh.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    It gets old.I try not to think about it.
    Yeah me as well. I have a stock market related job so the market opens at 6:30 am, which means most of the group gets in around 5:30am. That means for me to get in the office I have to get up at 3:30am. Then since only part of the company follows market hours people schedule meetings as late as 5PM. Then after work activities, its exhausting. You do what you have to.

I formulated a whole whiny reply to all of your posts, but then I didn't copy when I thought I was going to copy and paste.

It's probably all for the best. Life is actually pretty good. If you're not living it at breakneck speed (pardon any unintentional SCI pun) then wtf are you doing, right? I've got a job, food in my belly and a pot to piss in. Hell, I can even see a reasonable endgame to pay off my loans in a handful of years. I'm doing a job that sucks at times, but that I really, seriously enjoy a good 30% of the time (which is damn good in my estimation of the average job).

Shit, I was even fantasizing (somewhat realistically) about saving up some cash and riding a 2 wheel drive sidecar rig to south america in 7 or 8 years. You gotta live for something, right?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I formulated a whole whiny reply to all of your posts, but then I didn't copy when I thought I was going to copy and paste.

It's probably all for the best. Life is actually pretty good. If you're not living it at breakneck speed (pardon any unintentional SCI pun) then wtf are you doing, right? I've got a job, food in my belly and a pot to piss in. Hell, I can even see a reasonable endgame to pay off my loans in a handful of years. I'm doing a job that sucks at times, but that I really, seriously enjoy a good 30% of the time (which is damn good in my estimation of the average job).

Shit, I was even fantasizing (somewhat realistically) about saving up some cash and riding a 2 wheel drive sidecar rig to south america in 7 or 8 years. You gotta live for something, right?
    go start your own business and you'll beg for 4-5 hours of sleep or a day off. i ran my truck company for 5 years, when i sold it i woke up the first saturday morning and couldn't figure out what to do with myself. i hadn't had a day off in 5 years. then i started building racing go kart engines, sleep, what the hell is sleep?? someone always calling begging you to build an engine and get it there at dawn, cause theirs blew up. i use to hone piston rings while i sat on the crapper. HA

and i headed to Ushuaia in a Wagoneer. I got to Guatemala the same time as the hurricane. When i'd get out the jeep, i would sink right to the axles. after a couple days of that i headed back north. check the weather!!
    Last edited by baldfatdad; 07-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    The time element was one of the reasons I decided to work out of my home. Saving a couple hours of commuting per day made up for part of what I lost doing other stuff.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    and i headed to Ushuaia in a Wagoneer. I got to Guatemala the same time as the hurricane. When i'd get out the jeep, i would sink right to the axles. after a couple days of that i headed back north. check the weather!!
    I need pictures... like seriously... I need pictures.