Thread: Burst fracture L1

Burst fracture L1

Hi all,
    My name is John and I'm new here, with some questions.
    First of all, last Oct. 2nd I suffered a seizure that left me with a burst fracture at L1 and stable fractures atT12, and L2 with incomplete SCI, and paralyzed from the waist down.
    I've been doing rehab since and regained most feeling and movement in my legs, but not the pelvic aria or my feet. I have dorsal flexion in my feet but no plantar flexion or feeling.
    There in lyse my question at the moment. The rehab Dr. prescribed AFOs with plantar stops so I don't tip over frontwards when I stand. This sounds wrong to me. Can any one shed some light on this for me?

I had a similar injury. L1 burst, fractures up through T8. Left me S1 para complete. Essentially paralyzed from the waist down in the back of my legs and feet. Patchy feeling behind knees, feeling in arch of foot and big toes. Neuro bladder and bowel. I didn't like the AFO's when I had them. I do have orthotics and a lift in my right shoe. If I get too far forward I will fall over. Do they help you at all or no? You need to find what is comfortable and useful for you.

The physical therapist can evaluate whether they help or not and give you tips and make adjustments.They are supporting muscles that are weak because the stronger muscles take over . CWO

[QUOTE=medic1;1804921]I had a similar injury. L1 burst, fractures up through T8. Left me S1 para complete. Essentially paralyzed from the waist down in the back of my legs and feet. Patchy feeling behind knees, feeling in arch of foot and big toes. Neuro bladder and bowel. I didn't like the AFO's when I had them. I do have orthotics and a lift in my right shoe. If I get too far forward I will fall over. Do they help you at all or no? You need to find what is comfortable and useful for you.[

Well...I don't actually have them yet but it just seems like a forward stop to keep the foot from dropping will keep me from falling forward
    Thanks for your input tho!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The physical therapist can evaluate whether they help or not and give you tips and make adjustments.They are supporting muscles that are weak because the stronger muscles take over . CWO
    Thanks I'm probably just worrying too much. I'm sure they know what they are doing, and I haven't even been measured yet!