Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone legally purchased a handicap sign?

Has anyone legally purchased a handicap sign?

I am referring to owning a regulation size handicap sign to be placed on your own private property for your own personal use. If so, how did you get it and what is/was the process? I have not inquired yet but this may be something PVA could handle? Thank you!

I am pretty sure anyone can buy one
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...54392400228326

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I am referring to owning a regulation size handicap sign to be placed on your own private property for your own personal use. If so, how did you get it and what is/was the process? I have not inquired yet but this may be something PVA could handle? Thank you!
    Yeah, I purchased one for my office. I own the lot, and people kept parking (basically on private property). Works great.

Small rural town here where the law only comes through for a complaint. The county deputy told me individual's can't legally buy a sign, only a place of business. If an individual has one, the law can only be enforced if you can show legal proof of purchase and then it needs to be approved by the city to put it up. The crap we have to go through because of some inconsiderates that have never had hemorrhoids, perfect assholes!

Small rural town here where the law only comes through for a complaint. The county deputy told me individual's can't legally buy a sign, only a place of business. If an individual has one, the law can only be enforced if you can show legal proof of purchase and then it needs to be approved by the city to put it up. The crap we have to go through because of some inconsiderates that have never had hemorrhoids, perfect assholes!
    I realize its tough to fight city hall even if they are wrong, and I think they are. It is your property and if it were not legal to buy them then the people selling them would be the ones asking for proof that you were eligible to buy them. Now the enforcement part may be a different thing. The city how ever has no say so when it comes to ADA, at least not going crosswise of it. Heck if a business wanted to they could double the number of handicap parking spaces they had and the city has no say in it and the ADA only spells out minimums as far as that goes. The city and the deputy are out of line here as far as permission being needed and on who can own a sign. So where are you wanting to use this sign?

Global Industries

I purchased signs before that are regulation size and meet ADA requirements.

Web site:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/sa...arking-traffic

You can post it on your private property with no fuss from city hall.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I realize its tough to fight city hall even if they are wrong, and I think they are. It is your property and if it were not legal to buy them then the people selling them would be the ones asking for proof that you were eligible to buy them. Now the enforcement part may be a different thing. The city how ever has no say so when it comes to ADA, at least not going crosswise of it. Heck if a business wanted to they could double the number of handicap parking spaces they had and the city has no say in it and the ADA only spells out minimums as far as that goes. The city and the deputy are out of line here as far as permission being needed and on who can own a sign. So where are you wanting to use this sign?
    The sign would be going on the street side of my residential property. I don't believe the city can deny me even though the mayor and two council members are from the same family. If approved, the deputy says parking regulations would be enforced. The problem is, the one parking on my side is also a family member of the council. I don't have a problem parking in my driveway but at the same time I don't see it being decent off the kid next door using my side when he has a corner lot but doesn't park on it. The street is for everyone to use so I may have to make a habit of parking in front of his house.

i think it depends on the city and town ordinances. meaning it depends on the city or town you live in. in general any sign that is put in on any city or town property has to both be purchased and installed by the city or town. i suggest you rather than purchase your own sign go to the city council and request one be put up. keeps you out of trouble and they most likely will do it based on your need.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

In my city, you can get a handicapped parking space designated on the public street near your home, but you are not entitled to exclusive use. Anyone with a placard can park there. You cannot do this on your own. You have to make an application through the city's Streets & Transportation office.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    In my city, you can get a handicapped parking space designated on the public street near your home, but you are not entitled to exclusive use. Anyone with a placard can park there. You cannot do this on your own. You have to make an application through the city's Streets & Transportation office.

(KLD)
    That's how it is where I live, too. A sign that you purchase yourself is not recognized by the city, and therefore municipal handicapped parking regulations will not be enforced. It's necessary to apply for handicapped parking status and be issued a placard; the city will then install a handicapped parking sign in front of one's home or business and paint the curb blue. Anyone without a state-issued placard who parks there will be towed. But anyone with a legal placard can park in that spot.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions