Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puracyn Plus to heal pressure sore? (wound picture attached)

Question Puracyn Plus to heal pressure sore? (wound picture attached)

I've had A pressure sore for over two months and my caregiver was putting duaderm on it.
    This is what it looked like two weeks ago

When I went to the wound care clinic they gave me some dressings and seaweed.
    Even though I laid in bed and off the sore for a week the pressure sore got worse...

Would puracyn help me heal it? Thanks
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Clinical practice guides:
    http://gevingmedical.com/uploads/2/8...ology12.10.pdf
    http://www.woundsresearch.com/files/...72706_occu.pdf

It is hard to understand how you can have all pressure off of that wound for a week and have it become worse no matter what you used on it. Double check your positioning in bed.

All the best,
    GJ

Seaweed is an absorbent
    there is slough(the yellow stuff) in the center - silvadene gel or square can debride the slough
    the wound won't heal until it has a healthy pink wound bed
    Additional moisture is a culprit based on location

pbr

Thank you guys,
    I really did stay in bed and off that pressure sore. But the sore got worse, would be puracyn help me heal the wound?

So the goal with any wound program is to see progress at healing the wound from the bottom up. Can you tell me how you incurred this wound? And what progress have you seen

Environmental factors of pressure, moisture, shearing, swelling are things you need to control. And of course location, location, location - where is this located on your body? is there a bony prominence below this wound? are there seams on your jeans shearing the skin? do you sweat a lot with moisture held in near the surrounding wound/skin?

What is your nutrition status? Has your albumin level been checked? How is your protein intake?

My rule of thumb is to change the product if you haven't seen any progress with debriding the slough and revealing pink wound bed. Sometimes the wound will look worse before looking better when the slough is eliminated.

These are the ingredients for three wound preparations.
    Ingredients of Puracyn: Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Hypochlorite (0.004%), Hypochlorous Acid (0.003%)

Ingredients of SILVADENE: contains 10 mg of micronized silver sulfadiazine. The cream vehicle consists of white petrolatum, stearyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, sorbitan monooleate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol, and water, with methylparaben 0.3% as a preservative.

Ingredients of Medihoney: 95% active Manuka Honey and 5% calcium alginate ** I don't like using medihoney on wounds that you are sitting on the wound and the product - so no buttock or sacral wounds*

pbr

I've had 3 sores on the same heel in the same place over the years. The last one, I used the microcyn AH gel along with a collagen product and the sore healed in almost half the time that the other 2 did. The WC doctor was surprised that it did so well. All three sores were stage 3.
    Last edited by Brent K; 06-29-2016 at 06:25 PM.

I hate duoderm. I wish people would stop using it ... great protectant for skin, but not when there is an open wound.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    So the goal with any wound program is to see progress at healing the wound from the bottom up. Can you tell me how you incurred this wound? And what progress have you seen

Environmental factors of pressure, moisture, shearing, swelling are things you need to control. And of course location, location, location - where is this located on your body? is there a bony prominence below this wound? are there seams on your jeans shearing the skin? do you sweat a lot with moisture held in near the surrounding wound/skin?

What is your nutrition status? Has your albumin level been checked? How is your protein intake?

My rule of thumb is to change the product if you haven't seen any progress with debriding the slough and revealing pink wound bed. Sometimes the wound will look worse before looking better when the slough is eliminated.

These are the ingredients for three wound preparations.
    Ingredients of Puracyn: Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (0.023%), Sodium Hypochlorite (0.004%), Hypochlorous Acid (0.003%)

Ingredients of SILVADENE: contains 10 mg of micronized silver sulfadiazine. The cream vehicle consists of white petrolatum, stearyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, sorbitan monooleate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol, and water, with methylparaben 0.3% as a preservative.

Ingredients of Medihoney: 95% active Manuka Honey and 5% calcium alginate ** I don't like using medihoney on wounds that you are sitting on the wound and the product - so no buttock or sacral wounds*

pbr

Thank you for the information
    I used medihoney for two weeks but it did not help, now I am using silvadene and it is helping a little bit. I have stayed in bed for two weeks...
    I get about 40 to 60 mg of protein a day, and I have had my blood checked for albium, got an x-ray of the wound because my wound care nurse told me to do that

We recommend closer to 100-120 gm. of dietary protein daily to help with healing of open sores. Albumin levels look back over the last 6 weeks or so of nutrition; pre-albumin is better for gauging how you are doing right now as it looks back only 5-7 days. We check it weekly in patients who have healing pressure ulcers or flaps.

Wound can get worse initially because the wound is not done "declaring itself" which means that tissue that was dying has not actually died yet, so you may actually see more slough and eschar in this case, even if staying off the wound. The best chemical debrider is collagenase. Medihoney works OK for some, but is not as strong as collagenase. Collagenase should be applied 3X daily (nickle thick) and covered with a moist dressing for the best results. If you are not getting good debridement with it, then you may need to have sharp debridement (with a scalpel or currette) to get all of it cleaned out. Until you get the slough out, you really cannot expect to get any healing going on inside the wound, regardless of what fancy product you use.

(KLD)

It might be helpful if 100 - 120 grams of protein was described in what one should eat in food/supplements to achieve that goal.

All the best,
    GJ