Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone legally purchased a handicap sign?

SCI nurse is 100% correct on this. You do not "OWN" the street it is a public Right of Way, as such you do not have exclusive rights to that SPOT. In almost every locality every street sign is inventoried by location, that is: No Parking, limited parking, speed limits, school zones, Handicapped Parking etc. Many STATES require that the sign be included into the town,city, county, Rules and Regulations law book or the statutes of the community before any can be ENFORCED. And these Signs must be placed in accordance with the Manual of Traffic Control Devices, published by the Department of Transportation.

Yup there is a law and probably a rule book for every occasion. This has been the result of lawsuits created by scofflaws and evasion of civic responsibilities. What ever signs you place on your private property are not very likely to be enforced by a law enforcement officer. It is up to your elected officials if they will authorize such enforcement. If the [say] Planning board or ZBA requires you to have so many spaces available according to ADA standards, those would be usually enforceable, they were demanded as a condition of construction, or classification of use by a duly authorized municipal board. Such boards do have some judicial authority. Fire, Building or Zoning Codes enforcement officials, can also enforce such requirements authorized by the ADA.

I think you need a different kind of sign. A card board one on a stick to picket city hall. Then call local news, TV to let them know some nut in a wheelchair protesting. Worked in my little town.

I realize the street is for everybody to use and the deputy assured me the law would be enforced as long as the sign was legal and the city approved it being up. The problem is, 3 of the 5 council people are from the same family (which to me should be a conflict of interest) and the one parking by my house is also a family member. Kids of today have no regard for other people or other peoples property, he's being an ass and I have no recourse. I should be able to park my plow truck, car and van in front of his property without any problems then?!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ...I should be able to park my plow truck, car and van in front of his property without any problems then?!
    We had that problem with former neighbors. Where I live, yes - anyone can park in front of anyone else's house; but if someone is parked in front of your house for 24 hours straight, without once moving the vehicle, they can be ticketed or towed.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    We had that problem with former neighbors. Where I live, yes - anyone can park in front of anyone else's house; but if someone is parked in front of your house for 24 hours straight, without once moving the vehicle, they can be ticketed or towed.
    And where could I find that info for my state? We are talking from Fri. eve through Sun. afternoon's mostly
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    And where could I find that info for my state? We are talking from Fri. eve through Sun. afternoon's mostly
    I got it straight from the horse's mouth by calling the police department. Your local code compliance office would have that info, too.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Vehicles carry only one spare.
    You need a minimum of 2 Z nails, one for each curbside wheel of the vehicle that blocks your driveway or impedes access to your property.
    Seriously though, how much parking space do you require? Do you not have your own driveway/ carpark?
    Down this way, no one person has any right to sole parking outside their own property. Although it is loosely held/not enforced that area outside the home premises is for use of the occupier
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-26-2016 at 09:28 PM.