Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joystick doesn't seem logical. I am a new user.

Just a suggestion, if you can go to a parking lot or anywhere with some open space and just practice with your chair.

Thanks my friend. I will do that as soon as I ramp my studio/home. I haven't been outside yet and am very anxious. Front entrance is 31" to get in, rear is 24". I have to save to get materials and help to install. Fortunately my place has tight spaces, so I am getting used to extreme conditions. I still have some problems, but I practice every day, and things are improving. I hate the delayed response in my chair. It sure makes safe driving difficult. Nonetheless, I am still very happy. I have a chair and the hope of getting out in the near future. And that is unbelievable. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Just a suggestion, if you can go to a parking lot or anywhere with some open space and just practice with your chair.

It still doesn't make sense to me, but I am getting used to it. I hope in time that I will not have to concentrate which way to set the stick when going backward. You are so helpful, my friend. Thanks! Shab

Keep in mind it is the front of the chair that you are actually steering whether you are going forward or reverse.

I still don't have the ramp yet, but I am fortunate to spend a lot of time in front of my computer, and it requires making tight actions, which is making me more accurate, even with the lag time in the chair.

I think a lot about when I will first go down my ramp, when it is installed. I am thinking crawl speed with no rash movements. Same first time I go up same. I expect to have to use a higher gear, perhaps 3 to make it up the ramp, but I will be careful to only move the stick slightly forward to slow the speed with increased power. I hope that is good thinking? Shab

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I have a minivan with the ramp and sometimes going down it I would get off center and need to back up, only to mess up even more and run the risk of jumping off the ramp to the side. So I decided under safer conditions, such as any down sloping pavement to practice backing up and straightening out the chair. It involves having to deliberately think about which way you want to go and be careful about which directions you need to move the joystick.

Thanks Bob Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    I cannot really add anything, except to say your controls are working as intended.

Thanks friend. I wondered if the computer was in the Joystick. I noticed that the cable that plugs into the chair can be unplugged, but if the computer that guides the chair is nearer the motors and not in the Joystick box, I can see it would not work. Shab

Everything has to stay together, joystick is connected to the computer

There is a joy stick control, and it leads to the controller (computer), which in turn operates the motors the response, the brakes etc etc. Controllers are almost bulletproof and should not require replacing. The joy stick control is as always in harm's way. Due to our own inequities to make the chair do exactly as we want.

However, having said that "if" the joy stick does not respond as it should that is where the programmer become necessary. And the joy stick plug in is set to correspond to the correct internal wiring of the controller. They cannot be mix and matched, unless you know exactly what you are doing. I only know I do not have this knowledge, but just enough of the skills to get me in trouble.

Programming your wheelchair controller which your joystick is connected to is possible but usually you need special leads and a dongle to allow programming, the best place to ask is wheelchairdriver there are some users there who know how to do this. You can swap joystick so push forward goes backwards and pull back goes forward, some chin control joystick users find it easier this way round, I don't think reversing left and right is quite as easy.

Thanks, Bob, that's kind of the conclusion I have come up with too. It is hard for me to get on the floor to see what controller may be on my chair. I have avoided it, because it hurts a lot, but I guess I will have to do that.

My retirement is so small, not many would believe I was able to get the used chair I have, so spending $80 or more is a decision I have to prioritize and save and wait. I am so anxious to get out, that I also get confused what to make my next priority. I will work it out some way, though.

I want to do the ramp next, but being alone without anyone to help me, concerns me when thinking about going down a 16' or more ramp. The delay in adjusting steering direction and the possibility of getting anxious and screwing up makes me think that programming the controller is perhaps the most important thing to do, but that pushes the date of doing the ramp forward a couple of months - and I am so anxious, it is hard to wait.

What do you think? Should I trust my ability and do the ramp first? I get frustrated. I am usually very patient, as most old folks usually are, but I have been prisoner to my studio, that has become mostly a residence, and that is becoming unendurable. The only voice I hear each month is that of a computer sent movie, and there is no two-way to the voices. If I could do my art again, I could easily stand being alone, but I really don't do anything of value any more. Sorry to complain, but my life has been filled with work; the absence of work and also people is not an easy proposition.

I am leaning toward building the ramp, right now. If I drive off the edge and no one notices, it will probably end things, and I really want to extend my life if possible. I even have dreams of doing some work again. That would solve all my concerns.
    As the kids say, Oh Well, as the addicted say, One Day at a Time; I will wait for an answer if you have any suggestions about what I should do first and next. Thanks for your concern, it means a lot. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    There is a joy stick control, and it leads to the controller (computer), which in turn operates the motors the response, the brakes etc etc. Controllers are almost bulletproof and should not require replacing. The joy stick control is as always in harm's way. Due to our own inequities to make the chair do exactly as we want.

However, having said that "if" the joy stick does not respond as it should that is where the programmer become necessary. And the joy stick plug in is set to correspond to the correct internal wiring of the controller. They cannot be mix and matched, unless you know exactly what you are doing. I only know I do not have this knowledge, but just enough of the skills to get me in trouble.

Dear mrb, thanks for the reply. I have gone to school with WheelchairDriver, and am convinced of the choices I will make when I re-program my controller, I made a list of the changes to be made and made a hard copy, so if the person who does this will do as I ask, it should be a fast resolution to my problems. Nonetheless, if I could just change one thing, it would be to eliminate the lag time for response to the joystick. It will make movement in the studio easier and stop the continual problem of bumping into things. I am very confident that I can handle the positive response when outdoors too. I preferred the rack and pinion steering of my cars to the steering wheel with play when younger, and enjoyed riding a motorcycle, which is very positive steering, so I am sure I can handle it with my chair. And I do not have poor reaction time, which gives me additional confidence. Plus, if my ramp that I must build did not have much extra space on either side, I would still be confident, if the lag was eliminated from the joystick.

I have never liked it when others make decisions for me. That is what the lag represents to me.

As always, I appreciate the help; I will get through this somehow, I always do. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Programming your wheelchair controller which your joystick is connected to is possible but usually you need special leads and a dongle to allow programming, the best place to ask is wheelchairdriver there are some users there who know how to do this. You can swap joystick so push forward goes backwards and pull back goes forward, some chin control joystick users find it easier this way round, I don't think reversing left and right is quite as easy.