Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joystick doesn't seem logical. I am a new user.

Placing a lip on each edge of your ramp will pretty much prevent you from crashing. with some decent programming for responsiveness and reasonable speeds you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 07-08-2016 at 09:45 AM.

I am retired fine-artist and never was very financially successful. Now I am unable to get down to work near the floor and unable to walk more than a very short distance. I am currently saving for the materials for a ramp, but it will be a while. Gear 1 & 2 are very slow to react and 3 is too fast for my tight quarters. I have been just partially pressing 3 because of the faster response, but living in tight quarters makes that difficult, because sometimes the chair moves a bit too fast at first. I still bump things fairly often but am fortunate to not hurt myself of damage the doors and furniture too much. If I could just get the reaction time eliminated so that the chair would turn in the direction I wanted without delay, I could concentrate on the ramp as first priority. I have the technical and mechanical skills needed to do most things, but am physically limited with reduced physical strength, so actually physically handling the building of the ramp is not something I can consider. I have come to understand most of what I need to know now, but will probably post less, because you have all been so kind as to bring me up to speed. Now I just have to wait to put the finances together. I live near Miami Valley Hospital in the Downtown area of Dayton, Ohio, so if anyone with a programmer lives in my area and is willing to share or help, Private Message me. Rentals on Ebay are quite expensive too, so I am a little apprehensive. You have been so kind Bob, I wish we were neighbors. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    Placing a lip on each edge of your ramp will pretty much prevent you from crashing. with some decent programming for responsiveness and reasonable speeds you'll be good to go.

Your complaint is the number one problem in most general chair complaints, you can use the amount of hand pressure on your joystick to control your speed, but with your delayed response it is nearly useless to attempt using the joystick this way.

try embracing your control box with your hand and with the web between your fore finger and thumb gently move the joystick going forward. If you had good, quick responsiveness this is a super way (for me at least) to use your joystick. It is intuitive. Using your fingers on the joy stick makes you prone to jerky chair movements. This is exacerbated by poor controller adjustment.

You did not say what chair, or model you had. Almost every different model/type of controller has a different programmer. So this info is super important to everybody who might be able to help you. Publish a couple of pictures if nothing else perhaps someone will identify what you have.

My chair is a quantum 6000z. I do not know the date of manufacturer. I don't believe I have seen the controller, only the joystick. If the controller is located under the cover in back of the chair, it is too difficult for me to get back up from the floor. I don't have anyone to help me, and it is exhausting, to the point of passing out.

Is the reason that so much delay is programmed into the controller so that the manufacturer or his representative can visit and reprogram your controller. I am so untrustworthy any more. It looks to me like just another way to get an unearned $130.

If that is the case, it looks like a good time for a class action law suit - not to punish, but to change some of the inequities forced upon users. And yes, the money should be punishing too and paid to those who were forced to buy service that was unneeded. It would eliminate the problem once and for all.

As far as using the joystick, I do use just the finger and thumb, if I understand you correctly.

Thanks again, my friend Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    Your complaint is the number one problem in most general chair complaints, you can use the amount of hand pressure on your joystick to control your speed, but with your delayed response it is nearly useless to attempt using the joystick this way.

try embracing your control box with your hand and with the web between your fore finger and thumb gently move the joystick going forward. If you had good, quick responsiveness this is a super way (for me at least) to use your joystick. It is intuitive. Using your fingers on the joy stick makes you prone to jerky chair movements. This is exacerbated by poor controller adjustment.

You did not say what chair, or model you had. Almost every different model/type of controller has a different programmer. So this info is super important to everybody who might be able to help you. Publish a couple of pictures if nothing else perhaps someone will identify what you have.

Quote; "If that is the case, it looks like a good time for a class action law suit - not to punish, but to change some of the inequities forced upon users. And yes, the money should be punishing too and paid to those who were forced to buy service that was unneeded. It would eliminate the problem once and for all.

As far as using the joystick, I do use just the finger and thumb, if I understand you correctly.

Your response and your suggested actions; are exactly why the delays are placed into the controllers by command of the regulative authorities. These things are set up for folks who may have many quick hand response control problems, not simply You or me. For instance stroke victims. There are many "expert's" who gain their expertise from the settings most such afflicted folks seem to like. These opinions/statistics, can easily be corrupted, when end users have been convinced, by some techie know it all, this is the best we can give you. Such STAT's are garbage in garbage out.

Vendors are just that; not a provider of some corporation's exclusive service or product. But individual vendors, and peddlers of almost any form of mobility equipment who placed a decal on his front window. Internet sales are strictly buyer beware, so beware. "We" are prey to the vulture's So my solution has been to buy power chairs from individual private sales, and buy cheaply, just in case the seller or "I" myself do not see everything described or shown in a picture, of some object "I" purchase.

When you buy a used Power hair "expect" it to have all but used up batteries with a very short if any life span figure the price of new batteries, into the final cost to you. Don't have used batteries shipped to you, shipping will cost more than they are worth. Don't be gullible!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote; "

No one can control a power chair when their arm is suspended above the controller. You must rest your hand firmly against the joystick-control empty spaces on the control and guide it gently. I hold the control firmly and use the "WEB" between my thumb and fore finger to press the joy-stick in the direction i wish it to go.

Thanks Bob, I am sorry to appear so untrusting. I understand the control delay for those with limitations like you mentioned. I guess I just thought most users would not fall in that category; now that I think about it, they are probably in the majority.

I live on such a small retirement, it is very hard for me to buy the things I need any more. As a result, I am always looking for the reason prices are so high and a way to buy things cheaper. Also, I am filled with anxiety trying to get out of my place. I have the chair working pretty good, but can't get out of my place. I have to ramp up 22 inches. I am hopeful I can do this with a 12 foot ramp. Harbor Freight has a 6 foot ramp 30 inches wide on sale at $130 so 2 will cost about $275 after tax. I hope that will be sufficient. It will be a couple of months after that that I can afford the programming for the controller at $130 additional. I will have to try the 12 foot ramp without reprogramming the controller. I hope I am successful. I am unsure what programmer to rent on Ebay, so I probably will have to have the serviceman come to my place. My best to you and yours.
    Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    My chair is a quantum 6000z. I do not know the date of manufacturer. I don't believe I have seen the controller, only the joystick. ...
    I found this, which I'm not sure is exactly what you have or not https://www.southwestmedical.com/rep...000xl-domestic

There seems to be a few different looking joystick controllers in the diagram, but they show the parts as well as how they are connected. You can also see 'Programmers' under the 'Joystick (master controls)'.

Thanks Chick, I found and purchased a programmer for the Quantum chair. It turned out to be another mistake on my part. The most needed adjustment I need is not available using the Quantum programmer. I can't remove the pause. All these failures have started to make me ill. I am having to take a break for a while, to see if I will feel better.

I have come to hate the Quantum Pride organization. The are hopelessly helpless. It seems like they create blocks in their procedures designed to cause the need for the purchase of additional products. What a sleazy bunch. They are like parasites creating incurable diseases. One problem leads to the next, until they drive you crazy with their incompetence. For me, their name has become the same as EVIL. Quantum and Pride are good words that have been soiled when attached to their company name. It is hard to stay up when dealing with them. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I found this, which I'm not sure is exactly what you have or not https://www.southwestmedical.com/rep...000xl-domestic

There seems to be a few different looking joystick controllers in the diagram, but they show the parts as well as how they are connected. You can also see 'Programmers' under the 'Joystick (master controls)'.

Shab,

Have you looked at the WheelchairJunkie site? Mark Smith, the guy that runs it is a Pride / Quantum manager.
    Hated by some, loved by others, but he is known to help people when he can....

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com

Ron.

Dear Ron, thanks for your input. I have read all Marks presentation even before your mention. I love the guy and think he is a wonderful person to look up to. I admire his interest in helping others and support his objectives. I hope he is highly paid for his work too.

Unfortunately I am new to Powerchair users. I have been more fortunate than most users, although I have had many challenges throughout my life. Earlier in my life, I experienced many non-walking periods, but had more strength and was able to overcome while using a standard wheelchair when needed. More unfortunately, at that time, I was much more selfish. I only concerned my own needs and did not look at others with less prospect for improved mobility. I am ashamed of my past selfishness, because had I paid more attention to others, I would have had time and ability to fight injustices throughout the Powerchair industry.

Unlike the competitive nature of most American companies, who like the computer industry competed with others to produce far reaching objectives that increased the capabilities of their products while reducing price to meet demand, the Powerchair industry has produced its profit increases by bribing the politicians and joining in the Insurance Industry's perversion of the American dream, by fixing their profits based on costs so that there was never a desire to lower costs. And all because the people they wished to gain their riches from were those least able to defend themselves. They make me want to upchuck.

Mark works for them, but is very little like them.

I hate the welfare system, which is kind of like the way the insurance company performs. I have qualified for public health for a decade, but cannot stomach the idea of putting what I consider luxuries on the public budget. There are plenty of charitable and generous people to take care of that need. There would be many more people to add to those generous ones if Insurance companies hadn't perverted their services, and if the government hadn't been so invasive to become the parents of those who are unproductive, forcing everyone to participate through taxation. They have just angered those who are not so generous, as well as, those who are generous but want to have impact on their generosity by placing it where needed rather than where some other person chooses.

I love where your heart obviously is. You are someone I would proudly call friend, but I have learned enough about the Powerchair Industry in the past few months to be outraged at their joint conduct in maintaining every increasing costs in an industry that could probably survive well, with honorable profits, while producing more for less for the consumer.

I am probably not going to live very long, so those who are offended by my outspoken anger won't have to tolerate me much longer, but I AM MAD AS HELL, AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE, from the pigs at the trough. I will go out fighting for a worthy cause.

Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Rononwheels View Post
    Shab,

Have you looked at the WheelchairJunkie site? Mark Smith, the guy that runs it is a Pride / Quantum manager.
    Hated by some, loved by others, but he is known to help people when he can....

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com

Ron.