Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joystick doesn't seem logical. I am a new user.

Joystick doesn't seem logical. I am a new user.

Reading the manual suggests that the direction you place the joystick is the direction you move.

I am having a little trouble getting used to reverse. When I go foreward and to the left, the power chair goes forward and to the left, but when I move the joystick in reverse and to the left, the power chair moves rearward and to the right.

When I go forward and to the right, the power chair goes forward and to the right, but when I go in reverse with the joystick moving to the right, the power chair goes rearward and to the left.

My brain is having trouble accepting this. When I move the joystick rear/right, I expect the chair to go backward and to the right.

Is this something I will have to get used to, or is my joystick programmed incorrectly.

Is it possible to program the joystick to back to the right when the joystick is placed in the rear/right position, and when the joystick is placed in the rear/left position that the chair backs to the left? This seems logical to me, and also how I understand the instruction in the manual.

I am not sure if I am in the correct area for making this post, but after reading all the titles, nothing else seemed more appropriate. Shab

Keep in mind it is the front of the chair that you are actually steering whether you are going forward or reverse.

It took me months to get used to it ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have a minivan with the ramp and sometimes going down it I would get off center and need to back up, only to mess up even more and run the risk of jumping off the ramp to the side. So I decided under safer conditions, such as any down sloping pavement to practice backing up and straightening out the chair. It involves having to deliberately think about which way you want to go and be careful about which directions you need to move the joystick.

I cannot really add anything, except to say your controls are working as intended.

Also be careful running over electrical cords ... The power chair wheels do not go over them and they'll drag and unplug.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thank you, Lynnifer, Buzzard,crags, and Bob Sullivan, It looks as though, even though these chairs are very sophisticated and technologically terrific, there is still room for improvement.

I will get used to it too, yet it still is curious. Anything that is curious is an opportunity. I suspect this would be an easy problem to solve with many of the new electronic genius' that are out there. Perhaps it will change. I already have thoughts how such a problem can be solved.

I also see the need for small computerized programmers to be installed in a joystick. Look at the size of a thumb drive, able to hold hundreds of gigabytes of data, it will be a small object that solves this problem.

I read every day to catch up on my new tools and experiences. Reading what is described on wheelchairdriver.com, description of powerchair programming is very interresting. All of the features that are added with the idea of more safety, the pauses, in particular, are what I have had most problems with. Wouldn't a feature included in the joystick that would allow you to minimize the pauses improve ride quality for a large number of users.

A DVD writer used to cost $350, yet now you can purchase the same quality unit for $14. $80+ $50 or so for a visit to your home just to check the boxes on a program choice is a little stiff, and also troublesome, when programming your controller. I have never seen a product with so many opportunities for control of the market as a power chair. I wish I was a little younger. I suspect there is a nice profit for a manufacturer at about 10% of the current cost for parts, while increasing the quality as well. The kindest and most thoughtful and reasonable are the users of this industry's products. Shab

Can a Joystick contoller be removed and taken to the shop to be programmed?

Can a Joystick on a Quantum 6000z be removed and taken to the shop where it can be programmed? On one end of my joystick, two little screws hold it in place, on the other end is a simple plug.

I have read many experiences of users and am sure of the settings I want in my controller.

Most of the delays that are programmed into a controller are to make safer the operation of a Power Chair for people who have motor-skill problems. Those who are not burdened with reaction-time problems or other physical or mental limitations, can operate their chairs much safer with positive reaction to their chair's controls.

I can save about $80, with which I can purchase a couple quality tires for my chair, if I can take the Joystick to the shop rather than have a house-call.

I am alone, but have the skills to handle a simple task like this. Many who cannot handle the task, have a friend or family member with the skill and may wish to do for themselves. It doesn't take too much skill to remove and replace a couple of screws, nor to unplug then plug a connection.

I would personally do this for any chair user within my power chair range at no cost to them. Shab

Everything has to stay together, joystick is connected to the computer

Your joystick seems to be working 'logically' - the direction of the wheels ARE going in the direction of the joystick, which then directs the chair just as you describe.

Joystick controller can sometimes act wonky, which may indicate something going on with the chair (battery/motor, etc.). The lights on the controller - how many bars are lit, if and how they flash/the pattern, can mean many different things going on with the CHAIR, not necessarily the controller itself.