Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When on my computer or watching a movie, should I turn off my powerchair?

My Quantum has auto-off after about five minutes. I turn it off definitely when out with my dog (she tends to get on my lap and stand on the controls), around children or anyone I think may reach for that joystick.

Word of wise though ... I don't know much about these chairs but mine seems to release some power without my control and the right side backs up a good 15cms or more ... so it makes me nervous to have someone behind me or near a curb edge. I can't find any rhyme nor reason why it does that.

Please don't feel guilty! You use what you need to get around! You came here for info on power chairs and there are lots of users here! Just switched part-time to one after 30yrs of pushing a manual .. kinda wish I had one back in school. Would have made the ramps and trying to carry my books a heck of a lot easier!

I had to buy my chair as well (having a manual and power at the same type is considered luxury by insurance (I worked and have insurance as well as live in Canada). It was $400 and I traveled from Windsor to Toronto in my friend's ramp van to acquire it.

I can't fix the darn thing, whereas I was great with my old chair - like a bicycle. So your posts are helping me as well. Can't wait until you have your ramp!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 06-30-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

My Invacare Torque has four speed/gear settings. The First is for indoor driving. Third and Fourth are higher torque and speed outdoor settings. My Second gear is set to zero power speed, torque. When I'm sitting somewhere that I don't want to accidentally ram into anything or anyone, I put it in that setting which makes things safe but also allows me to change my tilt and/or recline. It comes in very handy when at the doctor or dentist as well.

Dear lynnifer, thanks for your reply. Have you posted the 15cm problem? I am not sure I understand, but since one wheel probably runs from one battery and the other wheel from the other, it sounds kind of like the two are not in sync. It is so expensive to get an answer to a question, I think you should post the issue here on the forum. If the problem is not unique, someone will probably share a probable solution.

I am wondering if there may be a controller program adjustment to fix the problem, however, like I said that would be expensive.

As far as shutting my chair off, I was wondering if when idle the chair draws very much power. I must be frugal and do things right to extend the life of my batteries. I hope to get a couple of years of use. My low fixed income does not rise with costs, so each year I have to conserve more than the last. For instance, my home/studio taxes rose about $800 in the past couple of years and my income stayed the same. To pay my taxes, I had to stop all discretionary expenses.

If I hadn't gotten my chair at such a great price, I would never have used the money for that. I am not sure if I will make my real estate tax by next due. At the moment freedom is more important.

Males on my dad's side of the family passed at around 47 years until my dad, and he lived to 53, so I had no idea I would live this long at 73. I need things that were not even thought about in my family.

I sure wish I could help you with your problem. These chairs are very powerful.

My greatest problems are always the lag time that was built into the reaction time of each action. I really wish my chair had positive motion. I mean, if I move the joystick to the right, I wish it would immediately move right. Same for any other change of direction. Depending on how I am trying to move in my cramped quarters, I find myself banging into things often by over steering the chair.

If it turned when I first moved the joystick, I am positive I would not have that problem any more. Also, I am sure I would not hit the door frame either. It is very frustrating, to have to spend $130 to just get a couple of settings changed. It couldn't take more than 5 minutes to make the changes, and for me the cost is prohibitive. Even so, once saving for my real estate taxes has caught up, I will start saving for that. Or, after the ramp is purchased and installed. It is so hard to set the priority.

I am so thrilled to have my chair, but having it and not having a ramp to get me out is like being thirsty with water just out of reach. Oh well, I can't complain. I have long life, which is much better than not.

If ever I get ahead a bit, I will look for and buy a controller programmer and loan it to anyone in my area who needs it. It kind of sounds to me like that might help with your problem too, so if it happens before you get your chair fixed, I will send it to you. If you are not handy, perhaps a friend will help you. My imagination says that a little turn of a screw or the reset of a timing feature would put your motors in sink. That would probably take all of about 5 seconds and may solve your problem. $130 for that is criminal. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My Quantum has auto-off after about five minutes. I turn it off definitely when out with my dog (she tends to get on my lap and stand on the controls), around children or anyone I think may reach for that joystick.

Word of wise though ... I don't know much about these chairs but mine seems to release some power without my control and the right side backs up a good 15cms or more ... so it makes me nervous to have someone behind me or near a curb edge. I can't find any rhyme nor reason why it does that.

Please don't feel guilty! You use what you need to get around! You came here for info on power chairs and there are lots of users here! Just switched part-time to one after 30yrs of pushing a manual .. kinda wish I had one back in school. Would have made the ramps and trying to carry my books a heck of a lot easier!

I had to buy my chair as well (having a manual and power at the same type is considered luxury by insurance (I worked and have insurance as well as live in Canada). It was $400 and I traveled from Windsor to Toronto in my friend's ramp van to acquire it.

I can't fix the darn thing, whereas I was great with my old chair - like a bicycle. So your posts are helping me as well. Can't wait until you have your ramp!

Hi Scott, nice to hear from you. I purchased my chair used and the settings are as for the previous owner. My first gear + an unwanted lag time is so slow that I am not sure it isn't the age and wear and tear of the chair that is the cause. It is pretty much useless for my needs. The second gear, is also very slow to react, so although it is better for indoor use, especially because I have close quarters, the delay still makes me over react when changing directions. Additionally, to get in front of my computer I have to, the equivalent of, parallel park, so the delay causes me to catch anything close.

When I want to rotate in place, there is a position where the chair does not want to move to either side. If I push the joystick a little forward or back, the chair starts rotating, but it is hard to have the chair rotate in place. In tight spaces it would be nice if the chair would rotate without any forward or rear motion. It may be normal, but I am not sure. I hope it is normal, then I don't have to worry about it becoming a soon needed repair.

When rotating is needed, I usually have to change to gear setting 3 or 4. That seems to make the rotate work better, but it also makes the chair move a bit too fast, if I am not right at the rotate position. I then jump forward or back and bump stuff. I am pretty sure I will get used to that in time.

I haven't had a chance to get outdoors yet; I am looking forward to that. I am thinking side-walk drive will probably be a 3 setting, I don't know. As far as hurting others accidentally, I plan to become ingrained with the idea of shutting my chairs power down each time I stop forward motion when around anyone else. I worry about that, because in moving in my tight quarters, when I catch a wheel on a table leg that has heavy stuff on top, my chair moves the table very easily. I don't want that power ever to hit another. Enjoyed the chat and info, my friend. Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    My Invacare Torque has four speed/gear settings. The First is for indoor driving. Third and Fourth are higher torque and speed outdoor settings. My Second gear is set to zero power speed, torque. When I'm sitting somewhere that I don't want to accidentally ram into anything or anyone, I put it in that setting which makes things safe but also allows me to change my tilt and/or recline. It comes in very handy when at the doctor or dentist as well.