Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I just purchased a used power chair and need some help please?

Dear Bob, even the rental is almost prohibitive. It embarrasses me to say how tight are my purse strings. I am unwilling to put my burden on society and will not accept charity, unless it is absolutely necessary, and I believe just having my chair a luxury and not a necessity, so I will not accept Medicade + Medicare, as I have told I am able, because I just don't have the conscience to do so for a luxury. Occasionally I accept some public assistance, but never unless absolutely necessary. I am ashamed when I do, a feeling that I prefer going without.

As far as purchasing a programmer, it will probably be a next year thing, but if and when I do, I will do so to make available the tool that will eliminate the selfsame problem for others. Anyone who pays shipping both ways will be able to borrow it, and the ridiculous overpriced rental and or rip-offs offered by the manufacturers will be reduced by my contribution.

I believe that those who can afford to do similarly should join me in this effort. There are many injustices that could be eliminated if those willing to share would make such benefit available to others. This forum is rich with members most of whom have such a generous spirit. Maybe a new website called perhaps borrower.com would be appropriate, or the like, and those of us who participate could leave our contributions to that source in our wills. At some point, there should be enough good working yet used equipment to offer balance to these inequities.

Maybe my thoughts are foolish, but I don't believe so. Shoot, who knows where such thinking could go? Perhaps a generic frame for each specific need and direct purchasing from the component makers so that purchasing at the manufacturers price might reduce the cost of excellent chairs. My bet is that there are skilled craftsmen who would be willing to assemble at reasonable prices with similar spirit. Even components that are not affected by wear-and-tear could be salvaged and reused. The potentials are endless. I wish I were younger, it feels like a fun and wonderful idea to develop and put together. Always been a dreamer, Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    As I said if you are in the USA there is a guy on eBay who "rents" them. If you contact him and either take pictures of your equipment or get the name tags off everything he may be able to steer you right. John's/The Burgerman's settings are very good for most wheeler's, and that hesitation is "ALL" programming! It is more than a nuisance and it can in fact be dangerous, and cause you to have an accident. Your chair should be as responsive as you can control and feel comfortable.

You may try again to ask a vendor/Sales,Repair, person to set your chair according to the specs you have in your possession. Bring a mean looking individual with you and demand they allow you, or your assistant, to be a part of the procedure. I do wish I had more faith in these sales people, but I do not and cannot.

Try to remember these settings viewed in the programmer are a percentage of the total available parameter you are setting. Once you learn the proper setting procedure, it becomes very clear to you. However, these programmer's are not cheap, in fact the newer model's are quite expensive. Check the prices on the manufacturer's price list, on their web sites. That is why I suggest you ask them first. You did not make the name and model Power Chair you are adjusting available. It is very possible that someone on this site has something available or can better lead you.

Medicare, is NOT, I repeat is NOT charity. IF you are eligible and have actually paid into Medicare, it is a Self Paid for PAID Health Insurance Policy.

No you are not foolish, if you have good mechanical abilities, and electrical
    knowledge , and are interested, there are a plethora of used power wheelchairs available to recondition, or rebuild. I do them for myself only, and I take two forevers to accomplish rebuilding one. I tinker with one ride it while I tinker with another. I change wheel & tire sizes. Change the overall width to indoors functional. Sometimes with not so much success sometimes with great success. The idea is to always try to have a good running chair at the ready.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. Have you found the best priced equipment with quality? I have searched a bit and found certain sites where equipment seems more favorable, but want to purchase wisest. My chair, a 6000z has tires that are pretty worn. I would like to replace with a slightly larger and perhaps air filled tire with a knobby pattern to get a soft ride and better traction when outside. I found a tire that, including tubes, is $38, however is similar in size to the tires on my chair. I have seen tires that appear larger that may be usable, but I don't think the fenders will work with them. I don't plan to drive in the rain, so I am not concerned much that fenders be removed, but I don't want to make changes that are either foolish or dangerous. Do you have advice on this?

I have Medicare and occasionally use the services of Medicade too. I hate to use it and only do when I am between a rock and a hard spot. Throughout my life I only earned enough to keep myself in supplies and basic needs, so my benefits are quite small. It makes wise spending very important in my case.

I have accumulated enough to build my ramp next month, so I will finally get my freedom then. The month following I think I will be able to get my controller re-programmed.

There are two large plastic handles on the back of my chair that are for hand pushing, I think. One was broken by the previous owner. I would like to pick up a used one, if possible. Do you have a source for such items?

I have some experience with Linux computer operating systems. I don't know if my skills in that area can be of value to you. I am looking for things I may be able to offer in return for all the kindness extended to me by you and others.

Linux is considerably more high-tech than Windows and has many benefits in use. Dependent upon your processor power and memory on your computer, you can have a more sophisticated and capable computer, if that appeals to you. Additional benefits are the lack of need for virus protection and applications to control spyware and adware. Everything is free, and the learning curve for use is not too bad. It is something I can offer that can be transmitted over the Internet, so like the cellphone, distance is not a burden.

Most people who use Windows Operating Systems, many times, believe that Linux Operating Systems are inferior, probably because everything is free. That is not the case. Linus systems are even more capable than the Apple systems, in fact programs are available to make functional Windows and Apple applications on Linux systems, if you prefer that look and feel. That is kind of like going in reverse in technology, though.

This may be useless information for you, but I have little to offer and want to return benefits wherever possible.

I hope everything is well at your home-front including family and friends.

Later, my friend, Shab

Medicare, is NOT, I repeat is NOT charity. IF you are eligible and have actually paid into Medicare, it is a Self Paid for PAID Health Insurance Policy.

No you are not foolish, if you have good mechanical abilities, and electrical
    knowledge , and are interested, there are a plethora of used power wheelchairs available to recondition, or rebuild. I do them for myself only, and I take two forevers to accomplish rebuilding one. I tinker with one ride it while I tinker with another. I change wheel & tire sizes. Change the overall width to indoors functional. Sometimes with not so much success sometimes with great success. The idea is to always try to have a good running chair at the ready.

How do I find the date of manufacture on my Quantum 6000z power wheelchair?

Quantum Pride Mobility 6000z

I purchased used and want to purchase replacement parts. I purchase online, so I must know exactly what item I purchase. My joystick controller has the following on its face: DWR1234L799 Rev. C. I can't find anything on the Internet with those numbers.

I would like to purchase an OEM programmer. I want to be able to set the joystick to zero lag when steering. I would like to maximize the speed settings. My batteries are 70amp +.

Is the programmer able to modify powerchairs other than Quantum Pride 6000z? I expect the tool to be expensive and may rent it until I recover my investment. Then, I will loan it to users who warrant replacement if returned not working or damaged.

These are probably stupid questions, but I have been unable to find answers on the Internet. Thanks! Shab

Quote Originally Posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    ... My joystick controller has the following on its face: DWR1234L799 Rev. C. I can't find anything on the Internet with those numbers....
    Did you google DWR1234L799 ? I got pages of hits.

Or

Maybe there is a local non-profit like this one near you: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/had/5688550084.html
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I am amazed. I googled the exact same words and got nothing. Additionally, I went to the manufacturer's page and couldn't find anything that resembled my joystick. It makes me think my chair is perhaps older than 2011 which was the latest reference.

I am fortunate, I can still walk a little, but I have no access to transportation other than Taxis and that is a prohibitive expense for me. I just purchased a ramp and am having it installed in my home, so I will finally get out soon. My chair is both an aid for walking, because I can only walk short distances and a way to get out of my home. I have been shut-in for a decade now.

I will try google again; I just can't understand why there were no hits when I tried. I even tried many different entries to see if I could find the information I wanted. You are a good friend. Wish we lived closer.

I will also take a look in Craigslist. Thanks! Shab

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Did you google DWR1234L799 ? I got pages of hits.

Or

Maybe there is a local non-profit like this one near you: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/had/5688550084.html

Try again. You must have mis typed. I always copy paste when I can to avoid errors.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-24-2016 at 02:17 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Take a look at this page; Does it help you? https://www.southwestmedical.com/replacement-parts/pride-mobility/quantum-6000z/joystick-master-controls/joysticks-master-controls/quantum-6000z-series-controller-assembly Use this page as a parts book not for pricing. However, the prices stated are retail pricing, used stuff on the scavenger auction sites should be less expensive. Cut and paste this address to your address line.

PS; I believe that number you have is the number for the little plastic shroud that holds the electronics. You can go to "Prides" site to find the location of your chairs ID Number. Then you have to contact them to find what parts were used in your chair. "IF THEY WILL TELL YOU"!

Thanks again. I purchased and have the Quantum programmer, but it does not allow resetting of the pause. It seems the only thing Quantum provides is disappointment. I got the number from my controller and found what I need.

After resetting what was available, the brake does not slow properly, but I can't figure out which change was responsible for that new problem. Now, when I release the joystick, it takes several feet before the brake engages. Quantum will not help with anything, so I am having a little difficulty figuring the problem out. Any help will be appreciated.

I am starting to get depressed. I make so many mistakes on financial stuff. It looks like I may not get out of this place while still alive. My health seems to be waning a bit; I suspect it is the stress created by solving this problem. I'll just have to keep one foot in front of the other, so to speak, and hope I still succeed. Thanks for all your support as well as the others who have tried to help. Shab

Take a look at this page; Does it help you? https://www.southwestmedical.com/replacement-parts/pride-mobility/quantum-6000z/joystick-master-controls/joysticks-master-controls/quantum-6000z-series-controller-assembly Use this page as a parts book not for pricing. However, the prices stated are retail pricing, used stuff on the scavenger auction sites should be less expensive. Cut and paste this address to your address line.

PS; I believe that number you have is the number for the little plastic shroud that holds the electronics. You can go to "Prides" site to find the location of your chairs ID Number. Then you have to contact them to find what parts were used in your chair. "IF THEY WILL TELL YOU"!