Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed Men Move Legs with New Non-Invasive Spinal Cord Stimulation - NIH Study

That's a totally different technology. It's basically FES for certain hand functions. FES can retrain they brain after a stroke (this is referred to as neuroplasticity), but there's no good data showing recovery after SCI.

Now one theory is that a system like this could be used in tandem with the NRT stimulator to retrain the lower spinal cord to work with the reduced signals from and to there brain. Edgerton and NRT have shown hand function recovery in two quad subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Edgerton's company is in the process of raising funding for commercial devices and FDA approval process. We're likely 2 years from FDA approval at which point you'll be able to get av Rx and then use these devices as part of your PT.
    Thank you for the update Mize, my question was since this procedure seems to use technology that is non invasive and similar to existing devices such as the E-Stim devices used by some patients to stimulate their muscles, why is FDA approval required and why is it going to take so long to get it. Any chance of spreading the trials taking place now to other locations any time soon? Is Dr. Edgerton open to cooperating with other doctors to setup multiple trial sites and spread access to this procedure to a larger patient population?

They likely already have a list of sites ready to go once the prototypes are built. Also, even though the basic circuitry is similar to FES, the complexity and way in which it's used will require FDA approval. The good news about this is that I believe that, unlike FES, this stim technology will have to be covered by insurances.

They likely already have a list of sites ready to go once the prototypes are built. Also, even though the basic circuitry is similar to FES, the complexity and way in which it's used will require FDA approval. The good news about this is that I believe that, unlike FES, this stim technology will have to be covered by insurances.
    What about setting up trials in foreign countries, how feasible do you think that would be. I am sorry to ask all these questions, but I am 3.5 years post injury, T3/T4 incomplete asia B but no movement or skin sensation below level of injury, and from what I read on the forums, in a couple of years, there won't be much left of my body to salvage. This research so far seems to be the best bet to at least stabilize people in my condition if not recover sensation and function until something else comes along. Would be great if additional trial sites could be setup in foreign countries (I live in Dubai) to bypass FDA approval and make this therapy available to people early on.

Did they say that even in Quads they stimulate the lower spine T or L?
    ^^(A)^^

My understanding is that they already have at least one non-US study underway in Ireland with a couple more pending.

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Did they say that even in Quads they stimulate the lower spine T or L?
    In the papers and patents I've read the portion of the spine simulated varies based on the function they are training. For example I believe they stimulated cervical for the quad hand function trials.

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Does this work for hand function? Anyone try one? I see them on Ebay from time to time.

http://aim2walk.ca/bioness/

http://www.bioness.com/Products/H200..._Paralysis.php
    I curious as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I curious as well.
    Bioness does make a hand unit as well.

My understanding is that they already have at least one non-US study underway in Ireland with a couple more pending.
    Any idea how we can get more information about trials in foreign countries, whether they are recruiting, and more details about the research itself, what kind of improvements we could expect based on existing research results.