Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colostomy flange staying on when wet.

Did they send you the MedLine product (Kendall Preppies)? Can't stand those. They tried to make us use them too, but we stuck to our guns about the 3M product:

I have an ileostomy (similar to a colostomy).

I got mine in 2010 (temporary surgery), and finished in 2011 (permanent surgery).

I used Hollister brand products out of the hospital. They worked okay for about a year, and then I became allergic to them. I used Byram Healthcare as my supplier. We occasionally tangled with wrong orders.

I then found a local supplier. I attempted to use Generix for a period of time because the supplier I tried attempted to force me to do so. I was horribly allergic to the Generix products. The supplier wanted to have me use Generix because it was a more profitable product for the supplier. I even tried to convince them that I would accept no substitutions and I was not listened to.

So, I took my business back to Byram Healthcare. I also asked Coloplast (an ostomy supply manufacturer) to send me some samples, as I had heard these were the gentlest on skin. Coloplast was more than happy to send out several samples, and then another sample pack or two. Hollister sent samples, but I continued to be allergic.

I switched to Coloplast supplies provided by Byram Healthcare as my supplier. For me the arrangement works very well. The Coloplast product adheres to my skin well and I do not have to worry about it coming off with water like I did the Hollister.

I use Coloplast one piece drainable bag #14416. If you have a colostomy other product numbers may work better for you.

I have also tried a Coloplast Mio and that thing is even more long-lasting than the #14416. I really like the Coloplast Mio.

Overall I would contact the three "big names" in ostomy supplies: Hollister, Coloplast, and Convatec, and ask for samples. I may also get on www.uoaa.org which is the United Ostomy Association of America - great people there (a few on both Carecure and UOAA).

I would also contact your insurance company and ask to switch to a new supplier and if there are any rules (do you have to stay in-state, etc?). Contact several DME suppliers that stock ostomy products and see what they will charge your insurance and copays (as prices vary).

In my case I also have my mail order options set up to ship me a 90 day supply (since I know what products work for me) - and give me a call a couple of weeks ahead of time. It's pretty much effortless to get my supplies, although it hasn't always been that way (with Byram, or anyone else). I also have it marked on my account that I will accept no substitutions - I need the brand-name, original product that I asked for, not anything else unless it's a courtesy sample.

Good luck! I know it can be really hard.
    Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post

I got mine in 2010 (temporary surgery), and finished in 2011 (permanent surgery).

I used Hollister brand products out of the hospital. They worked okay for about a year, and then I became allergic to them. I used Byram Healthcare as my supplier. We occasionally tangled with wrong orders.

I then found a local supplier. I attempted to use Generix for a period of time because the supplier I tried attempted to force me to do so. I was horribly allergic to the Generix products. The supplier wanted to have me use Generix because it was a more profitable product for the supplier. I even tried to convince them that I would accept no substitutions and I was not listened to.

So, I took my business back to Byram Healthcare. I also asked Coloplast (an ostomy supply manufacturer) to send me some samples, as I had heard these were the gentlest on skin. Coloplast was more than happy to send out several samples, and then another sample pack or two. Hollister sent samples, but I continued to be allergic.

I switched to Coloplast supplies provided by Byram Healthcare as my supplier. For me the arrangement works very well. The Coloplast product adheres to my skin well and I do not have to worry about it coming off with water like I did the Hollister.

I use Coloplast one piece drainable bag #14416. If you have a colostomy other product numbers may work better for you.

I have also tried a Coloplast Mio and that thing is even more long-lasting than the #14416. I really like the Coloplast Mio.

Overall I would contact the three "big names" in ostomy supplies: Hollister, Coloplast, and Convatec, and ask for samples. I may also get on www.uoaa.org which is the United Ostomy Association of America - great people there (a few on both Carecure and UOAA).

I would also contact your insurance company and ask to switch to a new supplier and if there are any rules (do you have to stay in-state, etc?). Contact several DME suppliers that stock ostomy products and see what they will charge your insurance and copays (as prices vary).

In my case I also have my mail order options set up to ship me a 90 day supply (since I know what products work for me) - and give me a call a couple of weeks ahead of time. It's pretty much effortless to get my supplies, although it hasn't always been that way (with Byram, or anyone else). I also have it marked on my account that I will accept no substitutions - I need the brand-name, original product that I asked for, not anything else unless it's a courtesy sample.

Mystery
    Thanks, good advice here. I will look over the Coloplast site, get some samples, and do some research on changing suppliers that are savvy on Medicare. Your profit statement about that supplier rings true here. I have been emptying my bags nightly before I go to bed, and changing the flanges as required. I have had no skin issues in the 2+ years since I had the colostomy, so the allergic skin comments from you and other responders here is new to me. Never thought of that. Looks like the adventure continues!

I've used Hollister 2 pc for years and mine stays on for a week, with daily showers and if I go in the pool. I just dry it with a hair dryer before getting dressed. I used powder and paste and skin prep in the beginning until I realized all I need is a good skin prep wipe (i use smith and nephew) then I push it on real good put the bag on and put my hand on it and bend over for a few minutes because the body heat helps set it. Works like a charm for me. I've also used convetec in the past and they stuck pretty good too. most medical companies will mail you samples to try. I get all my supplies now through the mail at edgepark and they'll send samples.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I've used Hollister for 2 years and change the wafer every 9 days. I don't use any added adhesive skin prep or sprays (I tried Cavilon and it seemed to make it worse, fall off sooner). I just clean the skin with water, dry it really well (with a blow dryer), and heat the new wafer for 15 seconds before applying. I shower every other day, but I cover the bag/wafer with plastic wrap (tucked into a chest belt I wear, I'm c5/6 quad), so it doesn't get wet. The Florida humidity may make a difference, especially if you sweat (I don't sweat as a quad), but I find that tape sticks a lot better with humidity (don';t know if flange is similar). I bet you will do much better just by switching brands. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post

Mystery
    I also use a Coloplast one piece. It's so easy to use.

There are good useful replies here. Thanks people. I have samples coming from all 3 major suppliers. Only the ConvaTec has arrived, and I haven't tried em so I don't have any feedback to give yet, but as they say, stay tuned. Priciate the advice you-alls. We'll see if my present supplier gives me any do-do when I ask for them to supply a different brand. All the major brands are listed on their website, so we'll see.

Have you ever tried sure seal rings or the barrier extender strips (from Coloplast, Hollister or Trio?) I've had success with either the sure seal rings or the trio silicone strips adding an extra layer to keep the edges from rolling up and being exposed to any water, but I'm not doing vigorous activity in the water...just leisurely swimming