Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caregiver probs :/ need input please. Thank you

Unhappy Caregiver probs :/ need input please. Thank you

Hi, c5 quadriplegic here.
    I have two caregivers that split the month. Caregiver A is good and shows up 95% of the time but caregiver B doesn't take the job seriously and sometimes is a no-show. I have a hard time hiring caregiver because of what the government pays 6 hours at $11 a day and also I think what turns them off is the bowel program. I don't know what to do with this situation. It's really getting to me. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this situation easier? I can't transfer but I was looking into a Hoyer lift type thing that would make me be able to transfer myself into bed at night it get installed on the ceiling and slides over into bed. Does anybody have experience in this? Especially quadriplegics? Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Hi, c5 quadriplegic here.
    I have two caregivers that split the month. Caregiver A is good and shows up 95% of the time but caregiver B doesn't take the job seriously and sometimes is a no-show. I have a hard time hiring caregiver because of what the government pays 6 hours at $11 a day and also I think what turns them off is the bowel program. I don't know what to do with this situation. It's really getting to me. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this situation easier? I can't transfer but I was looking into a Hoyer lift type thing that would make me be able to transfer myself into bed at night it get installed on the ceiling and slides over into bed. Does anybody have experience in this? Especially quadriplegics? Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you
    You would need at least some decent arm function ( absolutely perfect C5 on function in both arms or better) as well as little Core stability to get those slings around you and hooked up properly. What do you do when the caregiver doesn't show up

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    You would need at least some decent arm function ( absolutely perfect C5 on function in both arms or better) as well as little Core stability to get those slings around you and hooked up properly. What do you do when the caregiver doesn't show up
    I have to stay in bed or if she doesn't come at night I have to stay up all night it's terrible

Your caregivers make $11 for 6 hours of work?? I wouldn't do it for that, that's sure! I think you mean they work 6 hours in a shift, for $11/hour?? Where do you live? Do you find and hire your own attendants, or are they assigned to you without any choice?

Are you saying someone comes in the morning and stays 6 hours? What do they do? Many people have someone who comes in the AM and does their bowel care, shower, ROM, dressing, and transfer to chair, perhaps fix breakfast and a cold lunch to leave in the frig and does this in 2-3 hours. A different person comes at night, fixes dinner, and puts you to bed (or does bowel care if you don't do it in the AM); maybe 2-3 hours. This often means you need 3-4 people total to cover days off, 7 days per week.

For us, dependability is one of the most critical aspects of the job. If you can't depend on this attendant to show up, you need to replace them, as they are not meeting the requirements of the position.

PS: a complete profile sure helps to answer questions, and gives you more credibility as a legitimate member.

(KLD)

I use PCAs for short periods in the evening. I have three who I rotate and have backup available in case the scheduled one cannot make it. All live within two miles of my house and have poor paying full time jobs. Working for me enables them to earn some extra cash without much of a hassle. Two have been with me for the past few years and one started in January, replacing one who moved away. My wife and I treat them well and they have come to understand how essential their care is. In January I raised the starting hourly rate to $15 and adjusted all the current workers' rate accordingly.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

also ditch the bowel program go to a colostomy easier on you and them

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    also ditch the bowel program go to a colostomy easier on you and them
    Wah, that's extreme and most likely permanent! Bowel care is by far the most tormenting worst part of this life for me, but that is one route I will not go! OP if you're willing to tear apart your insides permanently, have a shit bag that's a viable option much quicker and he is right it's MUCH easier on them. And maybe a lighter workload for them would make them more reliable! Just note ( much less extreme perspective/scenario ) I got a suprapubic catheter thinking that it would be easier on the caregivers, truth be told make things better at home, fighting, bitching less (CCAC started coming less and less for ics so blunt of it went on rents),and be less time-consuming on me; now I can't stop getting infections ( sometimes serious kidney ones ), autonomic dysreflexia is uncontrollable undiagnosable, and I can't go back now (trying to figure it out) one thing the bladder shrinkage it caused but also you can't just all of a sudden change the whole workload on them again,it will just cause problems. At first it was great, seemed like I was getting less and less infections just had to drink enough water but eventually it wasn't enough. I understand that you may already have an indwelling catheter and I'm just putting my two cents in about a colostomy which is a much more permanent, invasive, extreme procedure you just really don't knowhow's your body will react to it long term, and there's no going back.

They get paid 11$ an hour for 6 hours a day no matter what.. but since I have a bowel program every other day they don't work the full six hours every day. Example n Monday they would come get me dressed and get me up and leave. This takes an hour ,an hour and a half tops. Then they come at night for one hour to help me in bed. They will still get paid for the six hours. Then on Tuesday they will do the bowel program shower dress and get me up. That takes three hours tops. Then at night they come in for one hour to help me in bed. So on bowel program days, they work for four and a half hours tops and on non bowel program days, they work 3 hours tops.

I really really don't want a poo bag, I always have my shirt off (I live in los angeles) and I feel doing the bowel program 7times a month is not a big deal. The past caregivers always say it looked overwhelming at first but getsalotbetter.

I take an ad out for caregivers on Craigslist but I also have the state look. When I talk to the people the state pick out,I feel like their spoiled bc their old job just has them "watching an older person " doing nothing,on their phones.

Scifor55years: but dnt your hours...let's say the caregiver starts at 9... if they have abother job, wouldn't it interfere?

I know you guys understand, it's just so frustrating. And I dnt want to have my other caregiver take all the load bc she might quit... I'm going to put another advantage in Craigslist and call my Program I'm in that pays them and let them know I need a new one