Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caregiver probs :/ need input please. Thank you

Man be careful with craigslist, if it ends up being something stupid you can't protect yourself or your property probably couldn't even get to a phone if they have anything to say about it.I don't know how it works in the states but there are websites that are dedicated to helping caregivers find workoften a little bit a screening is done. Some you have to pay a membership, go that route it's worth the money

I used Craig's List for years for my mother's PCA needs, in the Los Angeles area, and always did a background check before hiring. With due diligence you can find good PCAs this way, but you need to be a good judge of people, follow-up with references, and put out a little money to get the background check done. I know many people who have had problems with PCAs from these sites that supposedly do background checks as well.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Wah, that's extreme and most likely permanent! Bowel care is by far the most tormenting worst part of this life for me, but that is one route I will not go! OP if you're willing to tear apart your insides permanently, have a shit bag that's a viable option much quicker and he is right it's MUCH easier on them. And maybe a lighter workload for them would make them more reliable! Just note ( much less extreme perspective/scenario ) I got a suprapubic catheter thinking that it would be easier on the caregivers, truth be told make things better at home, fighting, bitching less (CCAC started coming less and less for ics so blunt of it went on rents),and be less time-consuming on me; now I can't stop getting infections ( sometimes serious kidney ones ), autonomic dysreflexia is uncontrollable undiagnosable, and I can't go back now (trying to figure it out) one thing the bladder shrinkage it caused but also you can't just all of a sudden change the whole workload on them again,it will just cause problems. At first it was great, seemed like I was getting less and less infections just had to drink enough water but eventually it wasn't enough. I understand that you may already have an indwelling catheter and I'm just putting my two cents in about a colostomy which is a much more permanent, invasive, extreme procedure you just really don't knowhow's your body will react to it long term, and there's no going back.
    A colostomy is reversible.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Not always. Our surgeon tells patients that they should not plan on it being reversible, so the decision to do so should be very carefully made.

(KLD)

I'm experiencing some of the same problems in getting caregivers. My come through an agency, get paid $14/hr. and don't have to do the bowel program. Right now I have no aide for Saturday and Monday nights. On these nights my wife covers. Saturdays aren't too big of a deal, but Monday nights are because my wife works full time during the day. Still trying to find someone to take Sunday and Monday nights.

As for the overhead lift, I have one. I'm a C5/C6 and there is no way I could use my lift by myself. Someone has to put the sling on as a minimum. Controlling yourself once in the air would be a challenge as well, but not nearly as much as trying to move yourself along the lift track. I'm pretty sure you're going to need help utilizing the lift.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    You would never be right again. And most likely have a lot higher chances of awful problems! Definitely don't consider it reversible

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Wah, that's extreme and most likely permanent! Bowel care is by far the most tormenting worst part of this life for me, but that is one route I will not go! OP if you're willing to tear apart your insides permanently, have a shit bag that's a viable option much quicker and he is right it's MUCH easier on them. And maybe a lighter workload for them would make them more reliable! Just note ( much less extreme perspective/scenario ) I got a suprapubic catheter thinking that it would be easier on the caregivers, truth be told make things better at home, fighting, bitching less (CCAC started coming less and less for ics so blunt of it went on rents),and be less time-consuming on me; now I can't stop getting infections ( sometimes serious kidney ones ), autonomic dysreflexia is uncontrollable undiagnosable, and I can't go back now (trying to figure it out) one thing the bladder shrinkage it caused but also you can't just all of a sudden change the whole workload on them again,it will just cause problems. At first it was great, seemed like I was getting less and less infections just had to drink enough water but eventually it wasn't enough. I understand that you may already have an indwelling catheter and I'm just putting my two cents in about a colostomy which is a much more permanent, invasive, extreme procedure you just really don't knowhow's your body will react to it long term, and there's no going back.
    Holy fucking shit, I couldn?t agree more, except for one thing: shit bags are not easier for any parties involved. Only an ill-informed doctor would suggest this.

I am a little confused. Are you paying them or is the state (through a waiver program)? Why are they working 3 hours a day and getting paid for 6? Does your PCA assist with household chores? Why not? I know that the PCA's that we use (though finding ones that want to do more than use their phones is a challenge) are only paid for the hours they actually work. They biggest challenge we have is that the state is only willing to pay $9.04/hr and we do not have access to public transit.

What I have found to be effective is to use students from the local community college who are enrolled in the nursing program as well as someone who only helps with household stuff (cleaning his cave, his laundry, linens, etc.). The hardest part is transportation. Since we have no transit available, he has to be driven to doc, therapy, etc. That is the time that I schedule his cleaning. While he is gone, cleaning can be done because not only is he not on the way but any fumes from the bleach (what kills germs) are not an issue.

Ry is an incomplete C-2 with TBI. While we encourage doing for himself, sometimes there are consequences.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09