Thread: Power chair ignorance, anyone have advice?

Power chair ignorance, anyone have advice?

Live in SW Florida. Just, today,, a friend found a Quickie Jay QM 710 power chair at a garage sale only 2-3 months old, never used and they're wiling to give it away. I don't want to take it if I'm not gonna use it, and I'm sure the seating wont work for me. 43 yrs post injury beginning to think about my 1st power chair and cost involved (have Medicare only). So, the internet tells me this is a great chair and that the base is an expensive upgrade. Will I be able to take the existing base and add seating that fits me?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Not on often. Help appreciated.

I forayed into my first power chair two years ago ... the seat width is variable with screws ... something that I definitely like about it. Shouldn't worry. Take it if they're giving it away! I have great insurance but even I can't have both .. so I paid $400 for a used power chair. They seem a better fit too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but generally seating can be adapted to your specific requirements. The bases are all standard, except for the widths.

As Rusty says the seating is all adaptable to change and your requirements. I would take it and try it before I even considered making changes. If your current chair is comfortable then you can pattern your new chair to it. The biggest problem found on used power chairs is dead or dying batteries. Keep them charged full as much as possible, and then a bit longer. Be aware of what particular type of battery is installed gell or glass, they charge at different Voltages. Only a few .10's of a volt but what a difference in battery life!

If this chair has been stored and not kept charged then figure on new ones. Use the largest AH size that will fit in the space available. I far prefer MK Batteries and gel cells. But that is my choice.

Thx guys. Calling the lady, now.

And new tires with air tubes as well. Mine went in the first week. Rotted from sitting.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'll be interested to know how it works out for you. I'm waiting for my QM-710 power chair to be ordered. Should be here anytime now. I'm using the seating system from my old power chair which worked out perfectly as it means that Medicare will only have to pay for the chair itself.
    Samantha