Thread: Granulex (barrier spray) discontinued

Granulex (barrier spray) discontinued

I have been using this product for 20 years. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with something that would be comparable to this. I use it on a daily basis as a preventative measure for skin break down. Thank you.

It has been discontinued as there is absolutely no scientific evidence that it does anything to actually prevent skin breakdown. It provides some protection from moisture but has no effect at all on pressure, shear or friction. In addition, it discolors the skin making skin inspection more difficult. There are much better moisture skin barriers available on the market now, such as 3M Cavilon No-Sting Barrier swabs or spray, or the similar Bard product.

I lobbied (successfully) to remove Granulex from our hospital formulary years ago because of the issues above. The company was never able to back up their "Think Pink" marketing strategy with any scientific evidence, in addition.

(KLD)

Thank you for your input. The 3M product that you mentioned above is something I'm not familiar with. Can you use it on an everyday basis. I do not have skin break down and I like to always be one step ahead of any potential skin issue.

Again, nothing you put on the surface of your skin will prevent pressure ulcers, or those caused by shear or friction. Skin that is moist and macerated is more vulnerable to pressure, so using a skin barrier like Cavilon can help to prevent this maceration from urine, sweat, stool, etc. It can be applied daily (not more often), and does not wash off with soap and water. It goes on and dries clear. If you need to remove it, you can do so with rubbing alcohol. Look for 3M Cavilon Barrier Film Spray, Swabs, or Wipes.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by tinern View Post
    Thank you for your input. The 3M product that you mentioned above is something I'm not familiar with. Can you use it on an everyday basis. I do not have skin break down and I like to always be one step ahead of any potential skin issue.
    I've had two minor stage 1's and have not had anything since begining use of it.