Thread: Quick release axle problem

Quick release axle problem

One of my quick release axles is stuck inside the camber tube and won't release. The button on the other wheel still clicks but this one is just firm and there is a fair bit of play on the axle itself. I did have the nut almost wound out to the end, is it possible that the nut has come off the end and this is causing the problem? They are Spinergy LX wheels with black quick release buttons. Is there any way of getting the button itself off to may be mend the problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Steve

When one of my axles stuck, I was fortunate to finally somehow get the axle out and discovered the nut had loosened just enough so internal pin attached to push button release wasn't disengaging those little balls.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Since it sounds like one wheel comes off the axle tube, take it off. Get a long wooden dowel, stick it in the axle tube and tap the opposite stuck axle. Might need some clever use of WD-40.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for the idea! Is there any way to get the black button off the end so I can get to the nut to put it back on the thread and not up against the quick release button? The chair was fitted for E-Motion wheels so if I had a big enough spanner which I don't at the moment I could actually screw the axle tube out. Not sure whether that will assist me as it will still be stuck but it might enable easier access rather than going from the other side with a piece of dowel. Probably should have had longer axles in the first place.

So I'm guessing if I can take the axle mechanism out because it is disengaged I should probably be able to use pliers or multigrips to squeeze the little balls for the want of a better description they should come out.
    Last edited by takenaback; 06-09-2016 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Update

Well that was a no-brainer. Locking mechanism was still intact and just used a flat screwdriver to wedge the black cap off which looks like it was glued by a little bit of red Loctite. Turned the nyloc nuts around glued back on with a little bit of Loctite and that was it.

Great! Congrats
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>