Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Menstruation contemplation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many women with SCI use an adult diaper for menstrual management. Many can be worn quite discretely. Pads can cause AD and skin problems, and tampons may be difficult to manage, and you are at increased risk for toxic shock than AB women. Not sure what problems you are having with a menstrual cup, as I know a number of women with SCI who swear by these (like Instead).

(KLD)
    I've never used Instead; maybe I should look into that. Mine is reusable and it has a ring on the stem to assist with removal. I'm having difficulty manipulating it as my fine motor function isn't good and I don't have much strength. I only have use of my first two fingers with limited thumb use. I like the idea of something I can reuse, but I'll look into Instead. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I will talk to my GYN. She's a new doc for me and as I mentioned, I have a hard time with doctors. (I have a good core team I see regularly and my last GYN visit was fine.) It's something I'm working on. However, I thought it was worth asking here. In my experience, doctors tend to know very little about how to help me adapt. Others who have similar functionality seem to help more. That's why I started the thread. Plus, if someone else can benefit from info shared, all the better.
    Last edited by Lemur Wheelz; 06-07-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something

I am really curious about those new "thinx" underwear that are supposed to replace pads, etc...anyone try them?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    I am really curious about those new "thinx" underwear that are supposed to replace pads, etc...anyone try them?
    I haven't tried the period ones but I did buy the pee accident ones. They are very soft and have a band with grip to stay in place better. They are for light leakage....about 5 teaspoons they say.

I just went to the Thinx website and it looks like they have different undies for different flow days. Might have to try one of the "heavy days" ones for my daughter.

The pee undies they make are called Icon Undies.
    https://www.iconundies.com/

To the OP.....I've had an ablation for extremely heavy bleeding that landed me in the ER one day. I asked not be put under and my husband drove me home a couple hours later so, virtually no recovery and no more period. (Two times I had light spotting but that only lasted a few hours. Keep in mind....I am fully able bodied. My daughter has the SCI.

Re: ablation
    I'm c5-6, 48 years old, definitely ready for menopause...had ablation for extremely heavy bleeding last november. Now I have medium blood for 2 days instead of 6, but heavy spotting for maybe 10. I know this menopause phase is related. Plus I have a good size fibroid. Just sharing my ablation experience - it helped a little for me, but definitely did not eliminate the bleeding.
    Please Menopause, take me away!
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I can't change pads on my own and bleeding in any amount causes uncomfortable AD. Menses would last 4-7 days.

Ive been using birth control pills to control the bleeding - Lo estrin and now Microgestin (similar products) - both of which provide 21 days active and 7 days placebo. I take continuous active, no placebo, for continuos control. Skipping a day or 2 can start spotting. No significant side effects. This has nearly eliminated period related AD and the messiness of pads and associated skin risks. It's provided great relief all around.

i had hysterectomy 3 or 4 years ago because of heavy periods and severe blood pressure issues. i was 31 or 32 at the time. i kept ovaries they took uterus and tubes out. i am with lynnifer best decision i made. as like you meds were not an option and ablation there was a chance it wouldn't work.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

I used a birth control called "Errin" which doesn't contain any estrogen or anything but instead thickens cm to prevent pregnancy. I went 7+ years without a period.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-64...n-oral/details