Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menstruation contemplation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Menstruation contemplation

Hello! I am fairly new around here. I looked for a post to answer this question, but I've not had any luck. I have a progressive neurological illness along with a plethora or other issues. I cannot walk, I am very weak and my fine and gross abilities are affected. I have limited hand use. I use a power chair or my manual Quickie with projection handrims as much as I can to maintain strength.

The reason I'm explaining is I'm curious what any of you of menstruating age use for your flow? I have been an avid cup user for over ten years, but each cycle I struggle more and more as over the past three years my muscles have been steadily deteriorating; it's getting more and more difficult to adapt each month.

Must I go back to the dreaded pad of my teens? I'd struggle with them too. (There's so many fine motor skills involved. My pinching ability is practically nil.) I like a green option, so I'm looking into reusable pads, but I'm worried about function there, most use snaps which I cannot work, and of course stench too. Must I hole myself up during the bloody event, making sure no doctor's appointments or meetings coincide? Does anyone have thoughts they can share?

Have you talked to your GYN? I think there are some MED options that essentially stop/severely limit your periods.

Blog Entries
    I saw her early this year, but I forgot to ask. It was a hard appointment. I have trauma issues related to docs. The thing with meds is I'm super sensitive to medication. I'm on a cocktail now that works, but it's taken around ten years to get it right. Plus, I have hormonal issues that we've worked for years to get under control. So, meds aren't really an option. I'm nearly 40. I figure I've got about 5-10 years left. I'm just trying to hold out until menopause. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur Wheelz View Post
    I'm nearly 40. I figure I've got about 5-10 years left. I'm just trying to hold out until menopause. 
    Not to rain on your parade, but the average age of onset of menopause for American women is 51. I didn't have my last period until I was 55.

You might investigate ablation, which would be less invasive than hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy? I'm 43. Got one in 2011. Best decision ever.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Surgery complications worry me, but hearing your feedback, I'll investigate. How was the recovery? Long and painful? Did you lose trunk strength?

Many women with SCI use an adult diaper for menstrual management. Many can be worn quite discretely. Pads can cause AD and skin problems, and tampons may be difficult to manage, and you are at increased risk for toxic shock than AB women. Not sure what problems you are having with a menstrual cup, as I know a number of women with SCI who swear by these (like Instead).

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many women with SCI use an adult diaper for menstrual management. Many can be worn quite discretely. Pads can cause AD and skin problems, and tampons may be difficult to manage, and you are at increased risk for toxic shock than AB women. Not sure what problems you are having with a menstrual cup, as I know a number of women with SCI who swear by these (like Instead).

(KLD)
    I've never used Instead; maybe I should look into that. Mine is reusable and it has a ring on the stem to assist with removal. I'm having difficulty manipulating it as my fine motor function isn't good and I don't have much strength. I only have use of my first two fingers with limited thumb use. I like the idea of something I can reuse, but I'll look into Instead. Thank you.

Mine was vaginal. I rested the first day and was up in my chair the next day. They don't let you leave until you move your bowels .. that was the third day. They let me go the fourth day.

I was in dire pain when I transfered into the car and in the bathroom once I got home. Within a week, I was back to normal. Kept my ovaries, just had the uterus out.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I asked about using medication to stop my daughter's period so she would only have it every other month or even less. Her pediatrician mentioned complications that I can't remember fully right now but I think the concern was clotting. Next week we have an appointment with her physiatrist and we plan to ask this again.