5 27.78%
  • No, we do not need to be cured

1 5.56%
  • Yes, I would absolutely contribute to such a worthwhile cause

9 50.00%
  • Yes I would do what I can, but I wouldn't be very motivated about it

3 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothetical question, treatment for acute spinal cord injury?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I wouldn't contribute time or money, it has no benefit to me. In fact it probably would mean that research into chronic SCI would fall off so it seems like it would be detrimental to me.
    You would be far from alone on that one, sadly. Just curious, so you make the choice Time passes what if someone close to you breaks their neck, paralyzed from the neck down permanently no treatment. Within a few days necrosis takes place, scar tissue forms boom done. How would you feel? What if it was a child in your family or someone that was a big part of your life?

there should be an option to give a thread zero stars. what a waste of bandwidth.

I think cure will be definitely related to the chronic also. If they figure out the central nervous system how they can fix it, this will help with so many other illnesses. They will know the make up of the nerves as how they can control them, direct them or shut some of them or things that we can not think of. It's like many inventions, for ex. Eddison invented the light bulb but we get light or energy in so many different ways now.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    You would be far from alone on that one, sadly. Just curious, so you make the choice Time passes what if someone close to you breaks their neck, paralyzed from the neck down permanently no treatment. Within a few days necrosis takes place, scar tissue forms boom done. How would you feel? What if it was a child in your family or someone that was a big part of your life?
    What if they got cancer and I didn't donate to the Cancer Society? What if they got Alzheimer's and I didn't donate the the Alzheimer's project? I would be understandably upset someone close to me was paralyzed but I wouldn't feel guilty I hadn't donated to acute research.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    there should be an option to give a thread zero stars. what a waste of bandwidth.
    Actually it's a pretty important topic, and has been discussed many times about if an acute treatment was discovered what would happen to chronic research! I actually tend to agree with what someone mentioned on here stated that chronic spinal cord injury in a lot of ways would become obsolete if A treatment was available and effective within the 24 hours of injury, technically that would mean that spinal cord injury is treatable.

Also I'm just curious, how prevalent the whole "it won't help me mindset in" especially amongst the people that are actually interested, following, participating in cure research. That's the thing about public forums people can ask what they want
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 06-07-2016 at 11:22 PM.

What if they got cancer and I didn't donate to the Cancer Society? What if they got Alzheimer's and I didn't donate the the Alzheimer's project? I would be understandably upset someone close to me was paralyzed but I wouldn't feel guilty I hadn't donated to acute research.
    Interesting justification... I'm not questioning your integrity in anyway just so you know. You are absolutely correct various horrible things happened to anyone all the time. Personally I would feel beyond guilty if anyone I knew sustained a spinal cord injury especially if I was someone that never participated in bringing about awareness or helping bring a treatment in anyway. In my eyes, in small way I'd be responsible; And technically that's not invalid. Now that I am a victim of spinal cord injury I very much feel responsible and compelled, I know it's true affect now including those with injuries worse than my own. But obviously I understand where you're coming from.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 06-07-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Its my personality. I am one of the few republicans on the politics forum. People probably assume I am pro-life, hate gays, think Obama is a muslim. In fact I am pro-choice, have no problem w/ gays and although I think Obama is a horrible president, it is not because he is black it is because of his policies. I vote republican for a single, simple reason. I will pay less taxes if republicans are in charge than democrats. It is as self centered and as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Interesting justification... I'm not questioning your integrity in anyway just so you know. You are absolutely correct various horrible things happened to anyone all the time. Personally I would feel beyond guilty if anyone I knew sustained a spinal cord injury especially if I was someone that never participated in bringing about awareness or helping bring a treatment in anyway. In my eyes, in small way I'd be responsible; And technically that's not invalid. Now that I am a victim of spinal cord injury I very much feel responsible and compelled, I know it's true affect now including those with injuries worse than my own. But obviously I understand where you're coming from.

Its my personality. I am one of the few republicans on the politics forum. People probably assume I am pro-life, hate gays, think Obama is a muslim. In fact I am pro-choice, have no problem w/ gays and although I think Obama is a horrible president, it is not because he is black it is because of his policies. I vote republican for a single, simple reason. I will pay less taxes if republicans are in charge than democrats. It is as self centered and as simple as that.
    I am a democrat until republicans find themselves but I respect you for saying why you are a republican because of taxes. Most republicans don't know why they are republicans. Kudos to you.

I'd like to hear The reasoning behind whoever voted no we don't need to be cured wow!