Thread: Quad arm atrophy; Is it reversible?

Question Quad arm atrophy; Is it reversible?

Over the last 2 1/2 years ? I've had over 10 different IVs (mid-lines and picks) placeEd in my arms. This resulted in weight-loss and also muscle atrophy. The question I have is about whether this can be reversed.

My strength level is about the same as it was prior to the series of infections, however my arms are one third the size. Has anyone else encountered this problem and had success with an exercise regime?

Weights and protein.. But I'm thinking the medications (strong abx) have contributed to this. I'm almost 100% positive that pain medication and muscle relaxers used for chronic pain only exacerbate and nullify my physical efforts. Any thoughts?
    If so what would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I'm almost 100% positive that pain medication and muscle relaxers used for chronic pain only exacerbate and nullify my physical efforts. Any thoughts?
    If so what would you recommend?
    I really believe that pain medication and muscle relaxers have a major impact on recovery. It is like a vicious circle. When you take them, you feel tired and can't do your excercises and can't improve. They make the muscles weaker. I know a family friend who is about 70 year old able body and since doctor put her on cholestrol drugs she gets tired a lot and does not want to do much. It is just an example. There are probably not studies on this subject but I remember Dr. Wise mentioning that drugs like muscle relaxers make the muscles flaccid.

I agree with you on this. But I think the medications have a physiological effect as well. My determination and exercise regimen are much easier to continue when I'm in less pain so I don't think that the medications prevent me psychologically from pursuing exercise.

I think antibiotics and muscle relaxants may have a direct physiological response to muscle fibers.

Elaborate on your arm function, do you have tricep function, wrist function are you able to pronate and supinate your forearm is your shoulder function proper, do you have enough stabilizing muscles to keep shoulder joint in place with natural range of motion?

smike I think drugs like Baclofen have more of an impact than that they literally block signals from firing, probably weaken them and exasperate atrophy not just in the muscle, also hinder neural plasticity

Doctors really probably don't know to tell their patients not to take these drugs because it might effect your recovery because they go by scientific facts and there are no studies on these things. Even if they knew that it might effect the recovery they still have to fix what the patient's issue is with those same drugs. A lot of drugs have side effects and I wish there was precise delivery of medicine where ever it was needed in the body. I think they are also working on the drug delivery system. I sometimes think that animals recover better maybe they don't take the above drugs or strong drugs), they don't have psychological issues. Only thing they have to worry about is move and walk. That is all they concentrate on and that might help them recover better.

It is complex because I have an incomplete C4/5 and strangely for instance I have rhomboids and lats but a 1/5 wrist.

To elaborate briefly- I have biceps left and right – deltoids left and right but various inconsistencies in anterior versus middle – some pectoral left and right. My shoulder joints are in place and I can push up all ADA compliant ramps with the power assist e-motion wheels on the default indoor setting. I can supinate with both arms and slightly pronate.

Triceps are a 3/5 on the right and a 2/5 on the left. I've been working on creating some balance in my body for over a decade. I was gaining for years after leaving Craig Hospital with a sip and puff wheelchair – two years later migrated to the electric chair with a power joystick – 5 to 6 years after injury started using the power assist on and off.

A decade later I migrated to the power manual chair and haven't used a power chair in six years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    It is complex because I have an incomplete C4/5 and strangely for instance I have rhomboids and lats but a 1/5 wrist.

To elaborate briefly- I have biceps left and right – deltoids left and right but various inconsistencies in anterior versus middle – some pectoral left and right. My shoulder joints are in place and I can push up all ADA compliant ramps with the power assist e-motion wheels on the default indoor setting. I can supinate with both arms and slightly pronate.

Triceps are a 3/5 on the right and a 2/5 on the left. I've been working on creating some balance in my body for over a decade. I was gaining for years after leaving Craig Hospital with a sip and puff wheelchair – two years later migrated to the electric chair with a power joystick – 5 to 6 years after injury started using the power assist on and off.

A decade later I migrated to the power manual chair and haven't used a power chair in six years or so.

OK cool, that's good you have things to work with so The atrophy in your arms may be manageable it's all about having a balance in tricep and bicepif you only have bicep and no tricep function your arm is always going to look small, unnatural atrophied. Can you do tricep extensions on the cables? Wrist weights would be even better for tricep kick backs considering you have rhomboid function. You say one out of five wrist so do you have wrist flexsion with no extension, and by partial pronation I don't really get it can you fully pronate or not? by partial do you mean you can get your forearm to the position where your thumb is aiming to the ceiling? You away from what you describe sounds like you're going to have trouble fighting off atrophy in the forearm as it seems like you are lacking the function in a lot of muscles there, could be mistaken though!

C4 with Lats Jesus you have an interesting incomplete injury! Not gonna lie I'am a little jealous haha

All these medication have a psychological affect, and they also impact muscle tissue and growth as well some more than others. Look at the new statement by the FDA on the drug class of antibiotics Cipro is in! Also with those lines maybe move your arm less, can you still exercise as much with thous things in your arm? Another thing is our body never reacts kindly to forien objects in them, everybody's different but maybe that's your body reacting to it