Thread: Broken tibia and avoiding pressure sores

Broken tibia and avoiding pressure sores

So, I posted a few days ago (and just now in Equipment about something else) about how I landed myself a proximal tibia fracture the other day. ER put me in a long leg fiberglass splint (the fiberglass splint is on the bottom, with top being "open" and covered by the ACE bandages), from about 5 inches above the knee, all the way down to my foot, with my knee at around 15-30 degrees, and my ankle at 90. I won't see my ortho for the first time until Thursday, so I'm not entirely sure what he wants to do yet, but last time I broke my femur, I was in a similar fiberglass splint for two weeks before being switched over to a brace.

I wasn't super concerned last time (mostly because I wasn't aware), but am much more concerned now about pressure sores, especially since my heel is part of the splint as well. I saw some previous posts recommending soft casts or bivalve casts, but I wanted to see what else I might have missed as recommendations from folks here to avoid getting any sores. Are tibial fracture braces actually NOT a good idea? I took a look at some of them, and while I'm not entirely sure how they function (I assume the leg portion is bivalve), I would assume they allow for easier skin checks. But, when I had a brace last time, I did notice a lot of pressure from the sides of the braces against my knees.

And, in case it matters, I was somewhat prone to sores about a decade or so ago from my seating, but have not had any issues since. I have a bit of trouble from my tailbone from time to time due to a spinal surgery that reshaped and curved my tailbone outwards, but only when I sleep/recline on my back. Otherwise I've been okay, but I don't know how much of that is coincidence or because I'm still young enough (30) that I'm not SUPER prone to this yet.

Any type of case or brace can cause pressure area skin breakdown. The doctor needs to pad as much as possible the pressure point areas and look at frequently.
    CWO