Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just venting a little.

Sugarcube, maybe an "open letter" to the newspaper (in the interest of public education) would indeed be a good idea at some point. I'm glad that, in spite oi the rudeness of some people at your brother's wake and funeral, you were able to connect with others who showed how much they cared. My mother died 20-plus years ago, and one of my most vivid and heartwarming memories was of seeing someone at the funeral home I hadn't encountered in ages - we hadn't even been in touch by mail, yet she drove a long way to express her condolences in person. Something like that never leaves you. It doesn't offset the rudeness and callousness of others, but it elevates the tone of the day and it's wonderful that you experienced the same kind of thing.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Darn it Sugarcube so sorry. If I'd been wheeling through that line I'd have given you a big hug. Some of what your looking at though is the coldness of New Englanders, I really notice it. I live both down south and up north in RI and there is a big difference. The Southerners are a lot more warm and friendly whereas with a lot of the northerners if they don't know you real well they tend to keep their distance. Maybe it's a "couped up all winter thing" I dunno, but it seems the sun does have a lot to do with it, it makes people more cheerful and friendly. But ya, I hate going to funerals as I have got the same kind of feeling you got and it's a very lonely experience. A lot of things about this disability situation are lonely. If I get down your way in CT for Tennis or something I'll give you a call and we will get together for lunch or something.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hey, so sorry for your loss... a similar thing happened to me for the first time in 3 years... although it was probably my 3rd or 4th time ever leaving the house.

Anyway, I went for my sight test with my mum. When I approached the desk for the appointment, they usually ask a bunch of questions.

The lady proceeded to ask the necessary questions, but completely ignored me. Completely. She would ask each successive question to my mother, whilst I was replying. Almost as if she expected my mum to translate the question to me.

So after the third question I said "I'm down here you cunt, talk to me."

Stay classy

I think prejudice against people with disabilities is universal in all countries. I guess it's always been like this and more than likely always will be.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thank you Bonnette. You are always so nice to everyone here. Your posts have been very helpful too. I am planning on writing to the newspaper at some point. There were teachers and medical professionals there. These are some of the very people who I thought wanted to help mainstream people with disabilities. It was a real eye opener for me. If writing to the paper can help to spread awareness, it is worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Darn it Sugarcube so sorry. If I'd been wheeling through that line I'd have given you a big hug. Some of what your looking at though is the coldness of New Englanders, I really notice it. I live both down south and up north in RI and there is a big difference. The Southerners are a lot more warm and friendly whereas with a lot of the northerners if they don't know you real well they tend to keep their distance. Maybe it's a "couped up all winter thing" I dunno, but it seems the sun does have a lot to do with it, it makes people more cheerful and friendly. But ya, I hate going to funerals as I have got the same kind of feeling you got and it's a very lonely experience. A lot of things about this disability situation are lonely. If I get down your way in CT for Tennis or something I'll give you a call and we will get together for lunch or something.
    Curt, what a nice thing to say. I sure could have used a hug. I never really thought about it being a New England thing. I have lived here all my life, so I wouldn't know the difference. I have heard some people joke about it though. Interesting. I have had a few similar encounters over the years, but never on such a large scale. It's strange, everywhere else I go, people are always helpful; opening doors, helping reach things in stores, etc. One time a gentleman went out of his way to help me in the pouring rain. He walked with me all the way to my van under the cover of his umbrella. He got soaked in the process, and he wouldn't take no for an answer. There are some very nice people out there. I know that. That is why this struck me as so strange. I won't ever forget it. Maybe this will make me appreciate all the kindness out there a little more. I hope that I never experience it again and I wish that nobody else had to either, but unfortunately that is probably not going to happen.

It would be very nice to meet up with you when you are in town. Keep me posted. Rhode Island is a practically in my back yard. The scenery is absolutely beautiful.