Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hotel bed height

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I always call and find if it's a platform or rail bed. If it's a rail bed I have them take measurements. The best thing for me would be a ceiling lift like they had at the Ballageo. It was so nice. Didn't have to drag my portable lift with me.
    Our website www.chuc.org.uk lists all the accommodation we can find with a ceiling track hoist including the hotels in Vegas. I would love to hear your thoughts on the hoist at the Bellagio as from your photo it doesn't seem to go from bed to bathroom. Do you know of any other accommodation outside of Vegas with a ceiling hoist?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecatlin View Post
    Our website www.chuc.org.uk lists all the accommodation we can find with a ceiling track hoist including the hotels in Vegas. I would love to hear your thoughts on the hoist at the Bellagio as from your photo it doesn't seem to go from bed to bathroom. Do you know of any other accommodation outside of Vegas with a ceiling hoist?
    It didn't go into the bathroom but they did have the same setup in the bathroom over the toilet and one in the shower area. I didn't use those so didn't think to take pics of that. It made traveling so much easier. We weren't looking forward to hauling my portable lift on a plane.

So is the biggest problem with bed heights are they too low or too high for most people.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    So is the biggest problem with bed heights are they too low or too high for most people.
    Too low for me and my care team but relatively easily solved if hotel has bed raising feet. I've got other problems like using a non profiling bed and foam mattress not air that compound the issue of perfect hotel room but don't think many people of my injury level travel so can't expect hotels to accommodate.

When we travel, NL usually does a pivot transfer to get me into and out of bed. Usually hotel beds are too high making what should be a straight across transfer difficult. We had one exception in Munich. The hotel bed in the room with supposed handicapped access features was a boxed springs topped with a mattress without any kind of frame or pedestal. This arrangement made the top of the bed about 18 inches high. That was a difficult transfer for both of us. Requests for a frame to raise the bed were not fulfilled, entschuldige Nein ("sorry, no").

All the best,
    GJ

Too high. Transferring out of a manual chair, which tends to be lower than a powerchair is almost impossible for me when they are built up.

Last summer there was a guy on Apparelyzed that took a trip across the US. He measured every bed he slept in. I think they got as high as 22 inches.

How about a "hospital" bed that powers up and down for truly accessible motel room!!?

Too bad there isn't a standard but even if there was it wouldn't work for everyone. Depending on wheel size, seat dump, cushion thickness and many other factors. Because each situation is different I guess we are on our own to ask the hotel to, measure and then figure out how to deal with it. As I stated in my origonal post most of the time we arrive at our destination on a Friday afternoon or evening and any type of building engineer or maintenance man is gone for the weekend.
    ^^(A)^^

The beds are too high for me now to easily transfer. My able bodied cousin who is 5'5" tall travels with a small ladder. I have had them put mattresses and springs on the floor, or gone to different hotels. The research and phone calling to get them to measure beds just takes LOTS of time.