Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hotel bed height

Since I made my earlier post we had a nightmare on one hotel check in. We phoned what we thought was hotel direct number but actually their central reservations, requested bed raisers etc. Got to hotel after 4 hour journey to find no bed raisers! I suggested another hotel in sister group but their bed raisers hadn't been tested on this hotels bed. After hours trying to solve it they raised the bed on reams of copier paper! At least we could then get the hoist under it. Next day they wanted us out which we refused as no suitable rooms within a reasonable travelling distance and eventually they hired a profiling hospital bed and air mattress which was at their expense. We managed to get details of the company and now use them whenever I work away, in the UK we have a government dept which helps with the additional cost disability has for work, I apply to them, book bed (min rental 10 days) and claim the total cost of the bed which they reimburse. Considering the problems of the stupidly low bed height where it is impossible and unsafe for my support workers renting is so much better for everyone. I'm off in a few weeks to the Scottish Highlands and expected a huge delivery/collection charge but even that is reasonable.

In the USA, the problem is much more often either platform beds (with no space for a lift underneath) and/or a bed surface that is too high, not too low. I have never seen a hotel in the USA that provides raisers for their beds, although we used to travel (road trips only) with our own. Once on a cruise we had a bed that would accommodate a lift, but was still too low on the bed surface, and we were able to resolve this by having our cabin steward add another mattress on top of the mattress in place. We don't have any provision for work-related travel costs such as you appear to have in the UK, and most of our travel was not work related anyway.

(KLD)

The problem with disability is that we are all individual and you can't set a standard bed height which suits everyone. We have found quite a few beds that we can't get the hoist under, without raisers I'd be stuck. Even when raised it can cause problems as the hoist has limited range and too high and I can't get on it. 2015 we were flooded and moved to temporary accommodation but no shower, a local hotel let me get showered in their disabled rooms and we hit that problem there, my support workers were having to try and lift me the final few inches. No easy solution

I do almost all my travelling for work, fortunately have a job that was my hobby so have an element of personal use in it. I couldn't afford to go on vacation and pay my support workers costs of accommodation and food. 3 people, 1 for waking nights 2 for days/getting me up, back on bed at 5pm for a couple of hours pressure relief then up again for dinner. Another unseen cost of disability.

We are lucky to get that assistance but it is gradually being cut, when we bankrupt ourselves with Brexit it will probably go.

I stayed at a Best Western in Petaluma CA and they told me the bed in the accessible room was normal height--I should have had them measure it. The staff would not do anything to lower the 30" high bed. I stayed at a Microtel in Rochester MN and the bed in the accessible room was also 30" high--I was only staying one night for an appointment at Mayo Clinic and my wife was along so she helped me get in. Didn't check to see if they would do anything about it
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-16-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: removed excessive dead space

Wow 30" is a deal breaker thats really high. We haven't had much luck getting a measurement before we arrive they just don't get it. I am working on a possible universal solution but it's a long way off and when it's done it still has to be implemented and become the standard nation wide.

Maybe it's a Shark Tank idea!
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Wow 30" is a deal breaker thats really high. We haven't had much luck getting a measurement before we arrive they just don't get it. I am working on a possible universal solution but it's a long way off and when it's done it still has to be implemented and become the standard nation wide.

Maybe it's a Shark Tank idea!
    Market is too small. If you are a quad w/ a lift you don't care and a lot of people can manage a 30 inch bed w/ no issues (me for example). So you have an already small market (paralyzed people who travel) and a unknown subset of that. Pass

I have been OK with bed heights. There have been some bed transfers that were more uphill than was easy, but they have been mangeable. My big issue is when the room is advertsed as accessible but then I find that the shower controls are out of reach uness you can stand up. This has happened several times.

Icarus, I know exactly what you mean and it's been one of my pet peeves over the past few years. Bed height is not addressed by the ADA. You can have all the grab bars, lowered temperature controls, lowered eye holes in the door and so on but the room is useless if you can I safely get in or out of bed. I always call the hotel directly and ask for a manager and ask them to measure the bed height from the floor to the top of the mattress. It may seem like a pain in the ass thing for them to do but it's critical for someone in a wheelchair to know. Often times I've had to have the engineering people or housekeeping come to lower or raise the bed. Either way it's a pain in the ass it really should be addressed by the ADA.