Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Ryder FRH 1A

Still in shape, working hard to stay that way! I would love one of those bikes, but is way out of my price range right now. The back issues is a concern for me. I have a lot of pain in hips, low back, SI joins. Everything is very weak and takes a tremendous amount punishment supporting my walking. I lay down, recline during the day to take pressure off of my low back and SI joints, regular sitting is difficult. I think its more of a pressure issue vs bumps. I go kayaking frequently and I am not usually bothered by rough water. It is the amount of sitting and ability to change position that I struggle with. So, your opinion would be the XLT pro at around 1500 would be a better option than the Freedom Ryder? I need to find out how many gears it has I guess.

I have struggled to find any place that has handcycles to demo. No where that I am aware of. Even looking at a two hour drive to find something, somewhere. No luck thus far.

I can't do a knee sit bike with my back issues and leg issues. Since I still have some feeling in the front of my legs, it is incredibly painful to have anything touching them. Any pressure to the font of my legs, sides is very difficult to tolerate. There are a lot of nerve issues. So as nice as it would be to be able to tap into my trunk muscles, its a no go for me.

Trying the top end might be a possibility. Its a bit over 2 hours drive.

I would not rule out a top end force 3 either. It looks much better than the force 2. New it is $2799.00 which seems reasonable, doubt you will find one used though as it's a fairly new offering. Looks like you could adjust the amount of lean on the backrest to suit your needs, fairly adjustable bike. I don't know a real lot about the bike, but you may want to talk with somebody at Bike-On.com about it. This way you would have a brand new bike and not have to worry about issues you might have with a used bike. That is a problem for everybody trying things out to decide, but you did the right thing asking experienced hand cycle riders on this forum. Sounds like now you have the choice of three bikes, the used Freedom Ryder, the used XLT and the new Top End Force 3. If it were me I'd think I'd look into the new Force 3 more and pay the extra money for something you know is going to serve you for a long time to come. On a used bike, you never know how it was really used. You could end up with frame cracks, worn out components or other things.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i agree with curt, i think new is the smart way. the frc 3 is a good entry level unit to get started with.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

This is the Top end XLT Pro that is for sale. $1700 but said its is negotiable price. https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/5606990324.html

I think the regular XLT is out with only a couple gears.

The Freedome ryder is being looked at tonight and tomorrow morning. He said it has 21 or so gears, but wasn't exactly sure as he wasn't looking at it. So I think the Freedom ryder is still in play at $1000 or the XLT Pro at a lower price, I figure I could offer $1,200 for the XLT Pro.
    Last edited by medic1; 06-02-2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: wrong link

Those are both good prices. The Freedom Ryder should be 21 speeds same with the XLT Pro, the regular XLT has 7 speeds and can be hard on steep inclines as it does not gear down enough.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I would not go with anything with only lower gear speeds, especially if your plan to have it for a few years.
    Your post indicates you are in Wisconsin. If you haven't decided yet, I am certain there must be handcycle divisions in some of the road races in your area or within an hour. By attending a bigger race you could arrive an hour before the handcycle start and go where the handcyclers park and unload their bikes - there you have a chance to see the bikes and talk to the racers.
    You can tap into this information by contacting the race director of some of the bigger races. They can tell you if there's a well-attended handcycle division; you could also do some googling and find the web site for these races, and see the divisions listed. They usually have a handcycle division in addition to a race chair division. (Google 'large road races in Wisconsin'; 'marathons and half-marathons in Wisconsin'; '10K road races in Wisconsin'.)

That's a great idea. It always pays to do your research before buying. Nothing worse than getting something you are not comfortable with. I did that a few years back when I bought a Force 2, I just was not comfortable at all on that bike, the seat really hurt my back and my back regularly does not hurt. I see on the Force 3 they addressed that issue by contouring the back more, they also addressed many of issues that were deficiencies with the Force 2. I currently ride a Freedom Ryder FHR1 and am very happy with it and it suits my needs well as a general rider. It's no race bike, but I still have fun with an occasional marathon.
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I would not go with anything with only lower gear speeds, especially if your plan to have it for a few years.
    Your post indicates you are in Wisconsin. If you haven't decided yet, I am certain there must be handcycle divisions in some of the road races in your area or within an hour. By attending a bigger race you could arrive an hour before the handcycle start and go where the handcyclers park and unload their bikes - there you have a chance to see the bikes and talk to the racers.
    You can tap into this information by contacting the race director of some of the bigger races. They can tell you if there's a well-attended handcycle division; you could also do some googling and find the web site for these races, and see the divisions listed. They usually have a handcycle division in addition to a race chair division. (Google 'large road races in Wisconsin'; 'marathons and half-marathons in Wisconsin'; '10K road races in Wisconsin'.)
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred