Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Ryder FRH 1A

If it is fixed and in good working order I would say it is still probably a good deal. Age is not as important as miles. The Freedom Ryder will have between 18 and 27 gears while the other bike will have 7 or 8. I get the impression that you are in pretty good shape and so depending on the terrain you will be encountering the 7 or 8 gears may not be enough gears. I personally would not pay $1500 for the XLT, if that is what it is they now sell new for $2500.00 and I think at either new price you look at they were and are over priced for what you get. I would be a buyer at $800 or less because as Sit-N-Fly said I think you will want to do something about the gearing. I also am surprised that the bike shop was not able to fix it since it is all standard bike parts I cannot think of something that could be wrong that the bike shop could not figure out either. The age seems to be in question so if there is a serial number on the bike call freedom ryder with it and see if they can tell you what year it was built. I would get the bike shops opinion as to how much ware is on the bike/components, as I said its more about how many miles not years. If they tell you what the problem was please pass that info along as I a curious. Hate you had to invest all that time and not come back with a bike.

It must be my lucky day, er, time of year? After years of trying to find a handcycle, a third handcycle is now in play. It's an invacare top end excelerator xlt pro. (Is the Pro version a better option over the stock XLT, or are there the same issues?) A couple years old. Has 21 gears. Cables just replaced and tune up just done with less than 100 miles on the new tires. They are asking $1700 but that is negotiable. I am still awaiting info on the other top end xlt, if that is what it is.

I have not heard back on the Freedom Ryder. It was confirmed by serial number through Freedom Ryder that its 8 years old. It looked in great condition. No rust, scrapes etc, shop said it was well taken care of, stored inside, in great, almost perfect condition. Has kendra tires. Honestly it doesn't even look like the seat has been sat on. The gears were not shifting correctly from what I understand, that's all I know thus far. They said they are all components that they are familiar with and they can't figure it out. Thanks for the info and input. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Racing is a blast, I just did the annual Vermont Marathon I do every year. If you do marathons and don't get a top end force you will be slower. For me though, that's ok, it's not all about winning its being out there. I turned a solid 2:10 on a real hilly 26 mile course. On a force rx I probably would have been 20 minutes faster, that just gives you a feeling of how much faster the Force bikes are than most others. What is your level of disability? Do you mind low transfers. Also you may not be comfortable in the lay down position of a bike like a Force plus a RX is gonna be big $$$ even used. The Freedom Ryder sounds like a good deal. I use to ride a XLT and they are good too, just kind of older technology.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i am low level. had an L1 burst fracture that left me an S1 para complete. Essentially from the waist down, in the back of my legs, i am still paralyzed. I can walk, short distances, and I used crutches for any distance, or my manual chair. I do not need to worry about the transfers. ITs low but if i gotta roll out of it I can do that I am looking for one that will be a good entry level bike. So i can get the feel of it. Know what its like. I would eventually like to do some racing if I am able, but just want to start out with seeing where I am at. I have some issue with sitting up for too long, lots of pressure on my back SI joints, I do better in a reclined position, but dont know if that will be the same on a handcycle.

Medic, looking at your profile picture if your still in that kind kind of shape, fit and lean you would be a natural for racing especially being the low SCI level that are. https://bike-on.com/handcycles/used-...p-end-force-rx A you bike like this would be perfect for you. I just wonder if your lower back might get aggravated going over bumpy pavement though, I know it kind of bothers me, but I'm a higher level, T4. Anyhow, just throwing options out there, the force is a lot of money, new they are over 5 grand. If you could get that XLT pro for 1500 and like the bike, I'd say go for that, not a bad bike, good starter bike and then maybe you could sell it later and get a racer if you are so inclined.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I wish there was some place for you to try out the different kinds...Does anyone know of somewhere near her to do that?

I was a competitive cyclist (road cat 3) until my injury eight months ago so I'm very interested in racing. That said, I went with a Freedom Ryder for my first handcycle because the racing cycles have quite poor visibility for on road riding (both hard to see and to be seen). Once I'm feeling strong I'll likely be looking to add a racing cycle but strictly for racing.

I went to watch our local Wednesday night criterium tonight and I miss racing so much I ache. Used to do 35-45 races per year... Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I wish there was some place for you to try out the different kinds...Does anyone know of somewhere near her to do that?
    Here in Cincinnati there's a handcycle group that gets together monthly and allows noobs to try different cycles. Might be one nearby. Maybe check with rehab hospitals, etc.

Medic1 wouldn't need a recumbent either. The knee sit bikes are faster as they allow use of trunk muscles. Something like a Force K.

Sorry to hear!
    Do you know how many gears are on that Freedom Ryder? Don't know if I'm remembering right, but didn't they come with an option of less or more gears? Mine had most gears, and I really needed them, like sit-and-fly I also had to go up steep driveway at home.
    Can you go and try the Top End? Might be a better option if it all checks out.