Thread: RT300 FES bike settings? One leg is stronger than the other

RT300 FES bike settings? One leg is stronger than the other

I do not expect my legs to be perfectly symmetrical but when I started exercising on the RT300 the circumference of my left leg was 14.75 inches and my right leg was 15 inches. It has been 3.5 years that I've been exercising on the bike. I happened to take a picture the other day and was surprised by the difference in size. The left leg is 16.5 inches and the right leg is 18 inches.

I have misplaced my manual, when adjusting the RT 300 settings how much of an increase should I start with? Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by QuadmanJr View Post
    I do not expect my legs to be perfectly symmetrical but when I started exercising on the RT300 the circumference of my left leg was 14.75 inches and my right leg was 15 inches. It has been 3.5 years that I've been exercising on the bike. I happened to take a picture the other day and was surprised by the difference in size. The left leg is 16.5 inches and the right leg is 18 inches.

I have misplaced my manual, when adjusting the RT 300 settings how much of an increase should I start with? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Have you reached out to RT with your question?

Leg size discrepancy notwithstanding, that's a significant increase in muscle mass!

What does the Sage unit display for relative power output during the without or on rtilink?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Have you reached out to RT with your question? Leg size discrepancy notwithstanding, that's a significant increase in muscle mass!
    No, I have not contacted RT yet. I was hoping that asking in this forum would be faster. A reply from RT Tech department is simply a telephone call away, but when it comes to therapy related questions I always end up playing phone tag.

Yes, I have made excellent progress restoring muscle mass. No more pathetic bird-legs. Besides the improvement in my legs, I actually have a butt again. I am a C5/6 and my right side is stronger, and more sensitive when it comes to electrode placement. I am curious to see how my left side responds to a change in settings. My schedule is such that I can only exercise for 15 to 30 minutes 2 times a week. It's enough to keep me healthy. My goal or dream schedule is to exercise 45 minutes every other day.
    Last edited by QuadmanJr; 05-27-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Have you reached out to RT with your question? Leg size discrepancy notwithstanding, that's a significant increase in muscle mass!
    I have two mandates when it comes to FES exercise, a cardiovascular workout and restoring muscle mass to my butt. Most of all I see it and use it as a preventative tool. If I spend too much time sitting I do my best to end the day with a session on the bike. I also love the fact that the cardiovascular exercise keeps me healthy and free of sickness.

No, I have not contacted RT yet I decided to read the Sage user's manual first. I am embarrassed to admit it, physical limitations what they are, but I never really read it. Fortunately, after going online I discovered that everything was available in PDF for download. For over three years I have been using the same settings that the RT technician set me up with on day one. I have just started experimenting with the amplitude by boosting the weaker leg 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    What does the Sage unit display for relative power output during the without or on rtilink?
    Generally speaking; after warmup my power while peddling will peak at 4.5 and this will last intermittently for approximately 5 minutes, followed by an approximate 10 internment minutes of 1.65, and the rest of the run will read 0 with an occasional spikes to 1.6. The majority of the run is with motor assistance, I estimate that only 10 minutes of the 30 minute session is under my full power.

0.5 Resistance
    30 RPM Control Speed

I was told by the RT technician that a slower peddling speed is more beneficial.

Blog Entries
    I wonder what those of you who have an RT think about your position in the chair when you are working out. My husband thinks I have lost some muscle from what I had a few years ago. I can't tell the difference. I called one of RTI's PTs a few years ago to have her Skype me and look at my peddling. She said my thighs needed to not be hitting the chair so much on the downstroke to get the most benefit. We tried raising the machine and scooting my butt up towards the edge of my chair to clear my thighs of the seat but they come back down and hit seat once I start peddling. I went on youtube to see how others are positioned and it looks like everyone is sitting just like me. Any thoughts on that?